Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

We do not have a mask mandate. Even the White House task force specifically recommended Iowa have a mask mandate. But our governor is an idiot and said no.

DD and her friend made the decision to quit high school swim and swim club instead. They are very sad. And I’m raging mad she was put in this position. I’m proud of the girls for making a mature decision. And I’m worried that I may impact how the coach treats them in the future. And the whole “giving grace” thing really pissed me off. The coach actually sent out an email to the whole team thanking those who did “give grace” to her and the team. This is why Iowa is a hot spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    We do not have a mask mandate. Even the White House task force specifically recommended Iowa have a mask mandate. But our governor is an idiot and said no.

DD and her friend made the decision to quit high school swim and swim club instead. They are very sad. And I’m raging mad she was put in this position. I’m proud of the girls for making a mature decision. And I’m worried that I may impact how the coach treats them in the future. And the whole “giving grace” thing really pissed me off. The coach actually sent out an email to the whole team thanking those who did “give grace” to her and the team. This is why Iowa is a hot spot.

Kudos to your DD for making a super mature decision. Won't it be amazing if there is a good vaccine soon and this won't be such a source of strain?

Kudos to your DD for making a super mature decision. Won't it be amazing if there is a good vaccine soon and this won't be such a source of strain?

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How awful to have to make the decision to quit a school team (and I know how much our girls love swimming for their schools). I am shocked that a state so close is so different. Our school sports are very very limited and even club sports are almost non existent, specifically swim as most pools are under strict limits and conditions and haven't opened. My sons hockey team can only have practice no games, if we "illegally" go to Iowa we can play games apparently, but we won't be as our association won't give us travel permits.

Am sorry for your DD.

To the person asking if this is outdoors, it's indoors. In IL we have very strict protocols, apparently not in Iowa.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

In my mind giving grace is saved for technology failures, time errors for classes, sound problems.

One does not give grace when you put their child in a compromising position. One tries to get you removed from your position.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would still complain up the chain and let it be known they lost at least 2 swimmers because they felt unsafe. The higher ups need to know.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This is the problem with youth sports (fb, bb, vb, etc) starting up and it is soooo frustrating. Also youth groups. Large mixing of kids is not great—esp indoors.

I can’t stand the coaches response. Ugh!! I too would strongly consider pulling her for this year. She has the rest of HS to compete.
    K

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I would still complain up the chain and let it be known they lost at least 2 swimmers because they felt unsafe. The higher ups need to know.
    Yes to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I worry about retaliation. I don’t want DD to get stuck in the crappy practice group next year.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I worry about retaliation. I don’t want DD to get stuck in the crappy practice group next year.
    I understand what you are saying but the stakes of this are just so crazy. Either potentially catch a novel (killer) virus or else lose your opportunity to compete in high school sports? It seems so fundamentally wrong.

What about simply making a paper trail to outline your concerns to the higher ups? That might prompt change (though I know you probably feel it unlikely but at least you tried!) and then if not and later there is retaliation you have some recourse for fighting it? (As much as I'm sure you'd like to avoid that kind of scenario!)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast