Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Now we need a dry erase board and other school supplies....

We live in a fairly poor community. We are 100% Distance Learning. The school specifically told us not to buy school supplies as what we needed would be included in the packet we had to pick up last night (Tuesday) for school start today (Wednesday).

Well - guess what their version of a dry erase board was? A piece of white construction paper inside a sheet protector. We did get a single dry erase marker (generic). It works awful. Now I have to scramble to find one and they're sold out everywhere. These were the only supplies in the packet. (The remainder was paperwork.)

Every single teacher (7 of them) has requested items today. Nothing too unusual, but not all stuff I have on hand. I am so mad - they told us not to buy anything, now I have a whole list I'm supposed to have for him by his Monday morning classes.

Even with that - I'm glad we don't depend on school lunch. They are being passed out at the school - 30+ minutes away, and only from 11:30 to 1pm. And we are by far not driving the farthest. SO - which class do the kids skip so they can get loaded in the car for over an hour to go get lunch??? The price of gas to drive is more than the price of the food, unless you have several kids. I don't see how that is supposed to work. So many here depend on free lunch, I'm so angry for them. Last year was 48% free, and they're estimating 75% or more this year (paperwork isn't back yet).

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is crazy. Our schools were given extra budgets to put together bags for the students. Things I normally buy, we are able to get the school to buy to pass out. Even “luxury” items like play dough and markers, the school bought for us. My 4th grader’s teacher requested two extra notebooks, and my 6th grader needed paper and pencils, but that has been all we needed to buy.

As for the lunches, are they hot or cold? My district has been passing out breakfast and lunch to any student (not just the ones that qualify for free meals), since we closed in March. They start at 7am (online school starts at 9), and they are there until 10. They give out breakfast and lunch. Some of the lunch items need to be heated up in a microwave or oven. This is the one thing my district has done right. I think they’ve given out 60 million meals since March.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Does it need to be a handheld whiteboard? I got around 2’x3’ size on Amazon last week.

Our district is doing freezer meal packs of 5 breakfasts and lunches so you only pick up once a week. There is also an option to deliver to your bus stop. It’s a good option but I think about the ones that don’t have freezer or microwave access.

ETA: Ours was free to anyone first 2 weeks. Then it was supposed to be only for those that qualify. However the USDA just received federal money to extend program so now it is free for everyone through the end of year. There’s a big push on a lot of FB pages for everyone to order and pick up the meals even if they just donate them as it gives cafeteria workers and bus drivers jobs.
    Last edited by mmsmom; 09-02-2020 at 06:38 PM.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Home Depot for Whiteboards!!! https://www.homedepot.com/p/EUCATILE...TW48/205995949
    Have them cut it to whatever size you need! We did 2x3' and maybe 12x18" squares.LOVE these and they're only $13

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Also look at dollar tree or dollar general for white boards.

That lunch distribution sounds like a terrible plan. Our district is doing drop offs at various locations.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Only $6.xx at Lowe's: https://www.lowes.com/pd/24-in-W-x-3...ard/1000380577
    I cut mine into fourths with a table saw and used decorative duct tape around the edges. We use them for school, keeping score for games, doodling, etc.
    DS 2/09

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Honestly, we've been using sheet protectors and white paper inside (or printed with lines on it or tens frames for math class) for DD2 for classwork since the Spring shut down. That's actually what they used in the classroom, so they could keep the different sheets in a notebook. Is there a reason you don't feel that will work?
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

OP here. I wouldn't mind the sheet protector thing if it worked. I don't know if it's just the crappy pen, but after using twice, we can't get it clean enough to use again. I'm going shopping this afternoon to try to find a regular white board. (Dollar tree and Target both laughed when I called to ask.) Lowes is a thought, but it's far away from here and I'd rather not struggle with it if I don't have to - but not somewhere I'd think to look. Thanks for the suggestion!

As far as lunches - we seem to have found a work-around. One of the neighbor's dads works very close to the school. He's going to take all of the kids' lunch cards and pick up lunches for all, put in cooler and then either deliver or pick up from his house in the evening. Then the kids can eat those lunches the following day. (All lunches are cold right now.) They had to call the school councilor to arrange it, but it looks like it will work at least in the short term.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Opposed to using Amazon? That's where we got a white board.
    Rubbing alcohol is good for cleaning off dry erase markers too.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Opposed to using Amazon? That's where we got a white board.
    Rubbing alcohol is good for cleaning off dry erase markers too.
    I agree that Amazon is a great spot for these types of things! I wonder if OP is still having trouble with the mail? Rubbing alcohol has to be the hardest thing to find in my neighborhood. I have not been able to find it since quarantine started. Thankfully regular sanitizer is now widely available. Initially I was looking for it to make my own since I ALSO couldn't find sanitizer and quickly extinguished my own supply of rubbing alcohol to make sanitizer. My DH would like some to help clean off the 3D printer parts so I'm on the hunt!

That's a great fix for the lunch situation OP. What a crazy scenario! Good luck finding what you need!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast