Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    Drugs are tested and approved by demographics. It’s not just size of the patient, especially with something like a vaccine, but also physiological differences that come with age. The clearest example I can think of is a lot of anti-depressants are counter-indicated or require extra supervision when given to young people because they increase suicidal risk in this age group. If a flu vaccine hasn’t been approved for people under 18 (probably because it hasn’t been studied in this age group) then a doctor isn’t going to give that vaccine to someone under 18. Especially when there are vaccines marketed to this age group that will presumably be available soon.
    Yes, this exactly. The 18+ vaccine was tested in subjects ages 18+. Unless there's some sort of emergency reason to do so (and the FDA does have some guidelines around compassionate use of drugs outside of what they are indicated for), then he just can't get it. And there are definitely physiological difference between pediatric and adult patients though the lines start getting fuzzy in the late teens. Virtually every clinical trial specifies ages (e.g. 18 and over, or younger than 18, or can even get more specific than that.

I would actually check around local drugstores - see what your CVS or local flu shot clinics have in stock, unless there's a specific reason you need to get it from your doctor. For example, our pediatrician only has FluMist right now, which me and the kids can get. DH is over 50 and FluMist isn't recommended for adults over 50 so DH's insurance won't cover it...so he had to go to CVS to get a different flu vaccine.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 09-10-2020 at 02:57 PM.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have taken ds1 to Target for his flu shot when he we can't make it into the ped's office. You get a coupon to use for shopping too!

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I was surprised to discover that when I went to make an appointment at our pediatrician for the flu vaccine clinic that they are offering flumist again! Which would be awesome because shots for DS1 are traumatizing!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Yes, this exactly. The 18+ vaccine was tested in subjects ages 18+. Unless there's some sort of emergency reason to do so (and the FDA does have some guidelines around compassionate use of drugs outside of what they are indicated for), then he just can't get it. And there are definitely physiological difference between pediatric and adult patients though the lines start getting fuzzy in the late teens. Virtually every clinical trial specifies ages (e.g. 18 and over, or younger than 18, or can even get more specific than that.

I would actually check around local drugstores - see what your CVS or local flu shot clinics have in stock, unless there's a specific reason you need to get it from your doctor. For example, our pediatrician only has FluMist right now, which me and the kids can get. DH is over 50 and FluMist isn't recommended for adults over 50 so DH's insurance won't cover it...so he had to go to CVS to get a different flu vaccine.
    I thought Flumist was discontinued because it was found to be ineffective?

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by calebsmama03 View Post
    I thought Flumist was discontinued because it was found to be ineffective?
    It got brought back.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/nasalspray.htm

Default Any medical folks able to talk about flu shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    My kids prefer crap squirted up their noses over injections so they will be happy to hear that . Personally I like the shot better. However, it’s been pretty ineffective for my family.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Me, DH and both DDs (teens under age 18) all got our flu shots at CVS yesterday. All the same shots, as far as I know.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We got ours today and the drive up was pretty neat. I was a bit nervous as my younger DS doesn’t do well with medical stuff given his history, but he handled it like a champ.

I’m not sure if they offer the mist or not. It’s not an option for us, so I’ve never asked about it. Besides my little guy would rather take a shot vs have something shoved up his nose.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When I stopped in Target today for some additional school supplies, the CVS woman was at the front near the carts asking if we’d like shots today. She said they were for 7 yo and up. I think we’ll stop in next week.
    K

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We will get ours (we do every year) but I’m waiting until October. Our flu season, according to our county health dept, doesn’t peak till Feb/March so I don’t want to get the vax too soon and have it wear off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast