Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Come on School...

It is 4:20 p.m. Friday. I am waiting not very patiently for the email that is supposed to arrive sometime after 4:00 today that will tell me who my son’s teacher is and what we need to know about logging in to distance learning on the first day of school. Which is Monday. There was an “orientation presentation” sent out last night, but it said almost nothing about distance learning other than that some students are doing it and they will start Monday.

I know they have been working very hard on everything. And I am trying to cut hem some slack and be patient. But I find it a little ridiculous that they won’t send out notifications until after the school office has closed on the last business day before school starts. Hope no one has any questions and they don’t get anyone’s email addresses wrong!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I get it. I was in the same situation this week. It is so frustrating - even more so for you that school starts Monday! I hope that your email comes soon!
    Kim

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This is how it was for the distance learners for my school too. I get that it's hard and new and there's a lot going on, but I can appreciate how rough it is for parents (and students!) too. I hope by now you've received it!!
    Lizi

We did finally get an email about 9:00. It was completely useless. It said hello families, I will be your child’s distance learning teacher, I look forward to working with you this year, Mrs. XYZ (name of teacher I don’t recognize). No indication of what to do Monday or when to do it.

Repeating to self: I will be patient. She is doing the best she can. She has probably only known for a week that she was teaching first grade distance learning this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

It’s possible that she got the assignment and class list right before she emailed. Our online elementary was hiring teachers the Friday before our Tuesday start, and class lists are still being tweaked a week in because the numbers keep growing. Our in person MS teachers got class lists on Sunday (again for a Tuesday start). The behind the scenes of this school year is extremely complicated and constantly changing. For your own sanity, I would expect there to be many unanswered questions in week one. Embrace the uncertainty.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    It’s possible that she got the assignment and class list right before she emailed. Our online elementary was hiring teachers the Friday before our Tuesday start, and class lists are still being tweaked a week in because the numbers keep growing. Our in person MS teachers got class lists on Sunday (again for a Tuesday start). The behind the scenes of this school year is extremely complicated and constantly changing. For your own sanity, I would expect there to be many unanswered questions in week one. Embrace the uncertainty.
    Agree. My husband is teaching 6th grade remote. They’ve received almost no guidance from the school and he’s teaching from home for two weeks because the remote teacher rooms aren’t even ready yet (all remote teachers still have to teach from a location in district so their work and works hrs can be monitored). His class list changed up until the night before and he has some kids who usually go to school at a different building than he teaches from so he doesn’t have access to their info in the database because he can only access his building.

In my kids’ district there are so few remote learners that they are assigned to an in person class and the teacher just has to give them assignments. So my DD2 5th grade class has 15 kids in person and 2 online. The district basically told parents that they are offering a safe in person exp and that if they chose remote they’ll accommodate them “best we can” which is basically saying you are on your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know for a fact the district is still building the schedules esp for HS ... We start Wed.

Schedules are being released to families on Monday but we've been told not to get attached to anything because they can and likely will change.

Some teachers were expecting to be in person and are being transferred to online.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

I know it’s such a PITA, but it’s very likely your child’s teacher only literally got the class list and assignment day before.

It’s amazing how each district differs cuz I knew my kids teachers and got email from them a week before 1st day. But a friend of mine teaches in different district and she said parents in that school is literally only getting their teachers notifications 1-2 days before cuz so many teachers is opting out, so they’re scrambling to find subs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As a teacher, I got my teaching assignment at 9pm on a Saturday night, when we started on the next Monday. We got our class list the night before and were sending out zoom codes the night before. It’s crazy this year. Many changes have been made since the start of school with kids moving around, etc. My district is 100% virtual.

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    I know it’s such a PITA, but it’s very likely your child’s teacher only literally got the class list and assignment day before.

It’s amazing how each district differs cuz I knew my kids teachers and got email from them a week before 1st day. But a friend of mine teaches in different district and she said parents in that school is literally only getting their teachers notifications 1-2 days before cuz so many teachers is opting out, so they’re scrambling to find subs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    In my district (in New England) the issue isn’t teachers opting out - it’s kids. More than 30% of my class list opted for fully online. They couldn’t recruit and hire online teachers fast enough. So many people anticipated that teachers not wanting to work in person would create a problem, but it’s the exact opposite. Most teacher DO want to work in person and they need more to be online.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast