Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My district's Virtual Academy process has been nothing short of a hot mess. We started school on Aug. 17. Last week - Week 4 -- there were still students who didn't have a teacher nor all of the different login information that was required. Communication also switched gears and said students needed to take part in at least some synchronous classes, which is not how the VA was originally presented. I guess this week, the district is walking that requirement back. But parents are still really frustrated. A few in my various FB groups are pulling their kids to home school. Others are pulling their kids from VA and re-enrolling them in their zoned schools. Right now, zoned schools are working remotely, but we're scheduled to return at the end of October.

To clarify, the Virtual Academy is completely online. Those students will not return to in-person instruction.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

thought of this thread today. School starts tomorrow. HS schedules were supposed to be out yesterday. Then this am. Then noon. I Finally got the schedule at 5:45 tonight(!)

Yesterday we had meet & greet orientations scheduled. Google did some sort of an update which meant that if kids were not signed onto their district usernames, they could not get into the meets. We found that out when more than 50% of the kids couldnt log in. Today, google drives were down. You know, where staff stores all important docs like plans for tomorrow?

Its a Hot Mess but I'm slightly comforted by the fact that most people are in the same boat right now.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

We have 2 weeks of remote learning before starting hybrid and today was our 2nd day of remote. DS2 could not log into the Zoom meeting for his Advisory (homeroom) this morning which is where they take attendance. But he didn't tell me of the problem until a few hours later which is also when we got a call from the school wondering why he didn't show up at Advisory. I explained what happened so they were able to change the absence to present. But we still don't know what happened this morning. He emailed his teacher and she confirmed that it was the right Zoom link so she is going to check with the tech people. I told DS2 that if this happens tomorrow, to let me know immediately so I can call the school. DS2 has logged into probably over 100 Zoom sessions for school since last Spring, so did not expect to have this issue on the 2nd day of school.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    thought of this thread today. School starts tomorrow. HS schedules were supposed to be out yesterday. Then this am. Then noon. I Finally got the schedule at 5:45 tonight(!)

Yesterday we had meet & greet orientations scheduled. Google did some sort of an update which meant that if kids were not signed onto their district usernames, they could not get into the meets. We found that out when more than 50% of the kids couldnt log in. Today, google drives were down. You know, where staff stores all important docs like plans for tomorrow?

Its a Hot Mess but I'm slightly comforted by the fact that most people are in the same boat right now.
    Ugh, I hope things are going ok!!

We've survived our first 2 days (short introductory days). We have a schedule but I'm not totally sure I understand it in terms of how much of the time will be live time on Google Meet and how much will be independent work. He's home with our babysitter today so we'll see how that went.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We all Survived!!! dd1 started off screaming that I was going to make her late for "fake school". Then I got 5 emails about study hall being unproctored time for students to do independent work.

dd2 decided she didnt like her workspace .... this morning. I get it Kid. You're seeing all these friends making up fancy 'school rooms'. Sorry. Its not our reality.

Get to school..... Kids cant get onto our google meet. Finally get on then cant get to their specials. spend seriously 50min getting kids to drama..... which is 55min long. Now they cant get back to reg class. One kid is crying another tells his mother we kicked him out of the meeting! A 3rd disappeared ..... then we hear from Admin that his family called to say he had to leave early. Um, we haven't seen your kid since 11am!

Oh well, tomorrow will be better.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3