Thread: I'm annoyed!!

MSWR0319 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default I'm annoyed!!

Since we're doing distance learning this year, it gives us a little more freedom when it comes to extra curricular activities. The kids found a swim team that fits us better than our regular team over the summer. They are farther away, but because we don't have to wake up early for school, we can make the practice times work. Both teams are at YMCA's, so I have to move our membership to the new Y. I called our old Y and told them and they informed me that because I'd paid in full for the renewal (which I just did in June) that we couldn't get a pro-rated refund. If I had done the monthly payments, they would just cancel it and I wouldn't owe for the next 9 months. I'm just annoyed because I've asked every single time I renew if there's a benefit to the two payment methods and no one ever told me that I wouldn't get a refund if I canceled and paid in full. I do know that the original membership agreement said you had to stay a member for 12 months or you would be charged monthly, which I fully understand. I haven't signed any type of agreement in the last five years. I'm basically being punished for paying my bill ahead of time. Their website does now say memberships aren't refundable, but I know that was just put on there within the last few months because they got a new CEO. I did ask to see my membership agreement to see what it says. I'm losing $500 which would pay for almost all of the new membership at the new Y. It just doesn't sit right with me since they never said anything to me about what would happen if you paid in full and cancelled. I'm now having to pay an extra $500 for my kids to switch swim teams. ugh!

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Oh ouch! Guessing there's no benefit to you keeping the membership while you join the other gym? That's a tough $500 to lose!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That truly sucks. Rather than a refund, can they somehow transfer the membership between Y's? You are going from Y to Y, not Fred's gym to Mary's gym...

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    That truly sucks. Rather than a refund, can they somehow transfer the membership between Y's? You are going from Y to Y, not Fred's gym to Mary's gym...
    I would seriously try to fight this and ask for lateral transfer. It’s still the Y. 500 a month isn’t something to sneeze at, and still paying another 500 at other Y too?? I wouldn’t fight this if it was 50-100 but anything more is highway robbery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14