Default Does anyone wear fall/winter dresses anymore? How are you dressing up this fall?

So we just moved back to the Midwest after 9 years in SoCal, and I'm a totally different size now. In SoCal, my girls and I wore sundresses to church pretty much year round (paired with a sweater when it dipped into the 50s). But now that I'm back to living with seasons (we had a cold snap here and had to pull out our jackets last week!) I realized that I basically own no cold weather dresses anymore. I was thinking of requesting a fall/winter dresses fix from Stitch Fix in the next month or two, but I don't even really have any inspiration to pin on my stitch fix ideas board. My pinterest search results tend to be skin tight sweater dresses (um, this mom of five can't do form fitting anymore!) or more casual jeans outfits, and the dresses on my go-to shopping websites seem to be for warmer weather. I also realized that the fashion bloggers I occasionally follow all happen to live in SoCal, so that's not super helpful for styling myself in 20 degree weather. Are we not wearing dresses in winter anymore?

Anyone have a fall/winter dress they just love? I always get my best fashion advice on the BBB!

(I also realize that I may be ambitious thinking that things will be safe enough to go anywhere requiring me to dress up this winter, as we haven't been inside our church in seven months and counting, and there are no concerts/fancy work dinners for DH/parties happening any time soon. I might not need anything beyond my jeans and cardigans this winter. But a girl can dream, right?)
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Does anyone wear fall/winter dresses anymore? How are you dressing up this fall?

Old Navy has plenty https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/categ...link=5360,1,W_

Loft has a few fall ones. I expect more are coming.

When in doubt, though less trendy, LL Bean and LE will have some.

I used to be all in on dresses year round but I’m not in a dress phase lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The blogger Jo-Lynne Shane styled a very pretty sweater dress from Talbot's yesterday that I was impressed with. Talbot's isn't a go-to store for me, but this looked very nice and I could see it with tights and dressy boots. She's in the Philly area so maybe her blog might be more suited to your climate than the SoCal ones!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Pricier than ON or Loft for sure but Boden also has winter dresses.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

erosenst is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I like both Macy's and Nordstrom, especially online, for ideas and often to buy dresses. Both have a huge selection - and I like their 'you may also like' recommendations.

Boden is my go to for winter dresses and skirts. Lands End also has some things I’m currently eyeing.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've been seeing a lot of fun blouses with interesting sleeve and neckline details paired with denim skirts, too, so don't rule that out.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I'd forgotten about Boden! I had some of their stuff ages ago. And I also had forgotten that I got winter stuff from Land's End.

I also tend to think of Talbot's as being my MIL's store, but that dress actually looks pretty cute and totally like something I would wear. I don't think to check there. Saving that blog!

Sometimes Macy's and Nordstrom just overwhelm me because they have SO many options, but yeah, it's worth going through and getting a feel for what they have.

I felt like the ON/Loft type dresses looked fairly summery still, but maybe I just was looking too early. I'll wait a few more weeks and look again.

And I still have a longer denim skirt in the back of my closet, but I'm always a bit afraid it's too dorky (I grew up with homeschoolers in denim skirts)--maybe a good solution is to find some cute blouses to pair with it!

Thanks, all! As always, the BBB comes through!
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

I live in a cold weather climate. In winter when it is 30 degrees, I go with wool a line skirts, tights, boots, turtleneck. Wool blazer for work. A big chunk of my work wardrobe is from Talbots. Always has been. I also love, love, love Boden dresses. Cannot get enough of them. The long or 3/4 sleeve ones can be worn almost all year round here. I add tights, boots, cardigans, and blazers in various combos to carry this dresses into 40 or 50 degree weather. Lands end is also good for jersey dresses-some years are better than others. And a black midi wool skirt with boots, turtle neck and blazer or sweater never goes out of style.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm in the midwest. In the autumn and winter I wear a lot of sweater dresses with leggings and knee length boots, layed with a scarf and/or cardigan depending on how thin the dress is. It's actually more comfy than wearing pants, since my pants are tapered and fitted, most of my shoes for pants are flats and not that winter friendly.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs