Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Ankle pain during PE

So my kids are in person in school and DD2 is having to take PE everyday. She’s in 8th grade and 7th grade PE was during virtual school and 6th PE teacher was not challenging so they didn’t do much. They have also changed the schedule (due to the social distancing but I think that’s just an excuse, they been wanting to change it anyway) so instead of her only taking PE 6 weeks of the school year like in 6th and 7th grade now she has to take it 24 weeks of the school year. They had allowed kids who took band and choir to have less gym but now they took that away and lessened the amount of band and choir so more PE.
    Anyways, she is not a sports girl. Doesn’t like to run/cardio. She does ballet 2x a week year round, including pointe classes and gymnastics if the school allows it this year. So she is active but ballet and running are totally different.
    For the first week and a half of PE she complained of her ankle hurting when she runs and then it hurts the rest of the day. She’s been icing it at home. She would complain of her ankle and foot hurting every couple weeks from ballet but not daily from PE.
    Is she just out of shape? From not running? She gets the usual side cramp while running but also says she takes blood in her mouth. She does not wear a mask so it not related to that.
    Should I find a doctor to get her ankle checked out? I’m nervous about her ankle hurting before going to ballet class, especially pointe class. Usually it will be sore after, not hurting before.
    Promoting inclusiveness from within the special needs community
    "Just Include Everybody"
    includestephanie.com
    Stephanie's Shirt Shop on Facebook and Instagram

Mom to
    DD1 7-3-05
    DD2 7-5-07
    DS1 3-23-10

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is she wearing decent running shoes with good support, ones meant for actual running

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would get her ankle checked out. The cramp in her side doesn't sound unusual for someone who isn't used to running, but her ankle shouldn't be hurting.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

As the mother of an aspiring ballerina, I would definitely have your daughter see a doctor and get that ankle checked out. Tell the doc about your daughters’ activities at school and ballet class. Also, talk to your daughters’ ballet teacher about the pain in her ankle. Her ballet teachers should be keeping a close eye on their pointe students. If your daughter has injured her foot or ankle in any way, I am sure her teacher would want to know. They would lighten her classes or have her do soft-shoe workouts until her foot/ankle heals.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Definitely go to an orthopedist and get her checked out. Do you have a children’s hospital nearby? That’s where I’d go.
    K

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

double post
    Last edited by KpbS; 09-15-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    K

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Is there any chance she’s just trying to get out of PE? It seems like dancing would bother her if there was something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

When she says ankle, what does she mean by that? When my DD1 was in 5th grade she complained of ankle pain when running with an after school running club.. We went to a foot and ankle practice and they x-rayed and looked at it and said it was the tendon along the back of her heel that was the problem (once they pointed that out, she said yes, that was where the pain was, so her original ankle pain comment was very generalized). They said there are growth plates that can rub against it or something and gave her several stretches to do at least 3 times a day and some prescription strength tylenol to take for a few days to help with pain and swelling. Even now in 8th grade she still gets that same pain sometimes from running cross country and I have to remind her to do her stretches.

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have an appointment at a podiatrist for my daughter for next week.
    Her ballet teacher is also going to look at her ankle this week too. She also mentioned good running shoes.
    There is also a possibility with our online school option to do some classes online so I’m looking into that too.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I really think an orthopedic doctor would be better able to analyze/diagnose the source of the pain, especially if it originates beyond the foot and ankle. (I also asked the Physical therapist sitting beside me her opinion and she said the same thing, see an ortho). I think a podiatrist may not be the best starting point unless it's someone who specializes in sports injuries. Our local ortho office (there are 9 doctors plus PA 's etc) take walkin appts as well as appts in a few days. I wouldn't wait to long.

As well, shoes can absolutely make a difference as well as what surface she is running on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast