Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Virtual Learning Help

Hoping you all have some tips and hints. We are 100% remote schooling here (new state no friends yet etc). DS2 is 13 and has missed a class, been 10 mins late to a class and generally seems to be struggling. I think he isn't that into it and maybe has some anxiety (he is on anxiety meds and has seen a therapist for years). But I need to work. DH needs to work. DS2 needs to be in school. He has THREE classes a day on Zoom (don't get me started). Any tips and hints on how to get him organized to attend and be responsible for himself. A timer? Some sort of reward? I can't really move him into my working space -- he is in his room upstairs from where I am. Maybe I need to get him closer to me? ARGH
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

My kids have phones and we had them set up alarms for the class start times. It is hard!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

12yo is using a Fitbit Inspire with multiple alarms set just before each class to alert him when a class is about to start. That and Google Calendar, tasks, a planner, constant check-ins have helped. (We are on week 5...and it's still not smooth sailing as far as work being completed.)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have to set class-change times on my phone and the Echo for DD (she's 10) and even then it's dicey.

Today, she was dressed & ready to go, but logged into homeroom 2 minutes late because she decided to switch on her audiobook instead of heading downstairs to log in like I'd told her to do.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

We set a million timers on DS2’s ipad. We also printed off a schedule with passwords and meet codes and laminated it. DS1 only needs the schedule, not alarms.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

11 year old DS2 is in 6th grade and I've heard him setting alarms on the Amazon Dot in his room to remind him it's time for class. He's actually doing better than 17 year old DS1 right now when it comes to getting to class on time! I also got him a giant glass whiteboard calendar for over his desk to keep track of stuff and all the passwords for log ins.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Can you set a timer on your phone and use a walkie talkie or someway to alert him to class starting? Or using a device like Latia said above is another good idea!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We actually printed out a schedule of each school day, since they are different and hard for us adults to keep track of! So, at bedtime DS takes down the schedule of the current day and puts up the schedule of the coming day. We also moved an old alarm clock to just under his computer screen, so he has digital 4 inch numbers of what time it is. Other than his initial 15 minute warning to start school in the morning, he does most of the rest for himself.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Virtual Learning Help

DS set alarms on his phone. Maybe a combination of alarms, closer to you, and check in when you can throughout the day will help

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 09-17-2020 at 08:10 PM.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you get an Amazon Dot for both his room and your room you can use them as an intercom and "drop in" in to his room from your Dot and tell him that class is starting or "make an announcement" that will be broadcast into his room. You can also set repeating alarms and reminders through the app on your phone to go off on the Dot in his room.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast