Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    If you get an Amazon Dot for both his room and your room you can use them as an intercom and "drop in" in to his room from your Dot and tell him that class is starting or "make an announcement" that will be broadcast into his room. You can also set repeating alarms and reminders through the app on your phone to go off on the Dot in his room.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    I forgot you can do this. Definitely could help to automate the reminders.

DH, DS and I text each throughout the day. DS and I are on zoom most of the day, so it’s less disruptive to text each other and wait for a break to respond

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Others have suggested great ideas for the timers/not missing class part. Since you mentioned he's struggling in general, I'll throw out what really helped my DD last spring. My DD was only in 2nd grade so I realize this might not help at all for your DS, but just in case it does --

I found that DD really struggled with the format her assignments were being given in. I spent a few minutes each morning making her a checklist style "to-do" list that was at a pretty fine granularity. So if the task was "read this story, answer the questions on page 41, then submit a picture of your answers on Seesaw", it would be three separate check list items on her list.

It was definitely extra work for me, but it was really helpful and worth it for her. For an older child, I can actually envision working with the child to teach them how to make their own check list....
    Lizi

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Others have suggested great ideas for the timers/not missing class part. Since you mentioned he's struggling in general, I'll throw out what really helped my DD last spring. My DD was only in 2nd grade so I realize this might not help at all for your DS, but just in case it does --

I found that DD really struggled with the format her assignments were being given in. I spent a few minutes each morning making her a checklist style "to-do" list that was at a pretty fine granularity. So if the task was "read this story, answer the questions on page 41, then submit a picture of your answers on Seesaw", it would be three separate check list items on her list.

It was definitely extra work for me, but it was really helpful and worth it for her. For an older child, I can actually envision working with the child to teach them how to make their own check list....
    I do something similar for my DS2 who has ADHD and just struggled painfully with the format of the schedules and assignments he's given. So each morning before he gets up, I write his assignments in post it notes that are color coded by subject, including his chores for each day and reminders for exercise/gross motor activities. I put them all on the to half of a poster, and at the middle is a line that says when all the post it's are moved down below the line, THEN he can play video games. It really helps him to have each item broken out into small chunks and he can choose which to do when.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I didn’t read all the pp so maybe this was mentioned. Does he have a wrist watch? You could get him even a cheap one and set a morning alarm for him. I’d do that in addition to other bedroom alarms.

Otherwise, is there any way you or Dh can open his door A half hour before class and say, “hey, get up!” And then have a written out list of what he needs to have done before class starts. Or maybe a chart where he gets a star for days without incident and at after 21 or 31 stars he gets a really big LEGO set or nerf gun, etc. Those kinds of charts worked REALLY well with my kids.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would print out a daily schedule for each weekday showing class times and other built in study/work times per subject. Then I would set reminders on his phone (if he has one) that sound 7 minutes before each class starts.
    K

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    I do something similar for my DS2 who has ADHD and just struggled painfully with the format of the schedules and assignments he's given. So each morning before he gets up, I write his assignments in post it notes that are color coded by subject, including his chores for each day and reminders for exercise/gross motor activities. I put them all on the to half of a poster, and at the middle is a line that says when all the post it's are moved down below the line, THEN he can play video games. It really helps him to have each item broken out into small chunks and he can choose which to do when.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Yes, this 100%! I made daily to-do lists with my kids so they can refer to them to see what needs to be scheduled and done when.
    K

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What about setting reminders on Alexa 10 mins before each class starts? This in addition to putting up his schedule where he cannot miss it.
    I think PP have good suggestions on incentives for him. Maybe a quick 5 min downtime(hopefully you have some wiggle room between classes) to do his favorite activity/game to recharge if that helps.

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Virtual Learning Help

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    If you get an Amazon Dot for both his room and your room you can use them as an intercom and "drop in" in to his room from your Dot and tell him that class is starting or "make an announcement" that will be broadcast into his room. You can also set repeating alarms and reminders through the app on your phone to go off on the Dot in his room.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Oh you already suggested the exact thing I thought of! I have reminders set for the kids to drink water throughout the day and for DD to wear her Invisalign!

I feel you OP, my 9 year old DS is a time police so attending classes on time happens. But completing assignments on time is a whole different story. We had to be on his back for an assignment that originally was due last week but luckily the teacher extended the due date and yet he was dragging his feet on it.

Last edited by Myira; 09-18-2020 at 07:11 AM.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post

I love checklists, and if a child has ADHD, they really do need that extra breakdown. DD's teachers have helped by breaking assignments up into smaller bits & pieces, and I use a similar strategy for both asking her to assist with basic care and household things, as well as tasks I need to complete myself. (For reference, see my annual pre-holiday houseclean threads.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

DS2 is 11, not organized and hates school. He's also 100% virtual right now. Some of this may be specific for his set-up but maybe it will work. We use a combo of written schedules/reminders and electronic. I hung a 3x2 white board on his wall with a basic schedule. For the next day, each evening I write the date and "day" of his 6 day rotation. He also has a printed copy of his schedule pinned to the bulletin board above his desk. The teachers put all live meetings on the kids' Google calendars so we have gone through and set up popup reminders for these meets 5 minutes before they begin. I don't allow him to have his phone during school hours but if you do, you could use it for alarms. As of now, DS2 isn't allowed to submit assignments without me checking them first. Virtual learning is hard and most kids will have trouble with at least one of it's aspects.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2