Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cmo is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Let's talk toilets

We have a couple of toilets that are original to the house that need replacing. I started to look online for recommendations and pros & cons and quickly got overwhelmed! We do not need anything fancy, but are willing to spend more for quality. If anyone can recommend a specific model, and let me know why you like it, it would be ever so helpful! And if there are duds out there to avoid, chime in for those too so we can steer clear.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Bought 2 Toto’s from plumbing stores (as opposed to Lowe’s etc because inventory is better quality, according to 2 plumbers).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm short, but like a handicapped height toilet. So do DH and DD.

DH likes an oval bowl. I don't know if I notice the difference on that, but he's a foot taller than me.

No particular brand recs, but I'd like to replace all of ours with taller ones.

We replaced one of ours a couple of years ago. It's higher than the previous one. I hate it because my feet don't rest flat on the floor when I sit on it. But I'm the only one in our house who cares. So I think a lot of it is just personal preference -- what things do you like or dislike about toilets you have had before?
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Toto brand, Oval bowl, comfort height

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Toto brand, low flush model. Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Let's talk toilets

We just bought a Kohler Valiant comfort height elongated toilet with 360 Revolution technology from The Home Depot because we need a toilet ASAP as the one in the girls bathroom was leaking. Dh will be installing it tonight. We had almost the exact same model in our old house and the only difference I can tell between the models (Corbelle) is the design of the tank. I chose the Valiant model this time because it was readily available (the Corbelle was back ordered until December at Home Depot) and had the same flushing technology (aqua piston, and Revolution 360) that the Corbelle model we had previously and bought through Ferguson had. The price was almost identical as well.

I like the comfort height toilet. We have a non comfort height toilet in our bathroom now and it feels so short. When we remodel our master bathroom I will get another comfort height toilet although we won’t have room for the elongated seat, but thankfully most brands still make a comfort height compact seat toilet. I will probably go with Kohler again, but have heard good things about Toto, and the higher end American Standards with the Vortex flush system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-17-2020 at 10:11 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Toto Drake. They truly never clog and ours have been put to the test!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Toto! The Drake I believe is one of their most affordable options. We have 4 Toto toilets in our house - 3 were already there from the previous owner (a Drake + 2 other fancier models) and when we did an addition we bought another Drake to go into the new bathroom. The 2 that we have that are fancier really just have a fancier-looking tank but the innards are the same.

All of ours are the elongated bowl and the ADA height. Toto also calls it "Universal height" I think. Just make sure the rim of the toilet is at least 16 inches off the ground...when you add the seat that adds another inch.

As long as I can afford it, I'll always buy Toto toilets from now on, LOL! After moving into this house and experiencing how nice Toto toilets are, and trying out lots of other toilets including those in fancy hotels (lots of Kohlers, American Standards, and Toto toilets), and paying attention to toilets at other people's houses (things you do when you're remodeling your own house), I always landed back at Toto!

I do like the traditional 1.6g flush on the Toto. I just feel like a little more water is better The Toto has a powerful and clean flush which is what I LOVE about it. No swirling water. No water rising before going down. No spray (at least no visible aerosols from the flush). The dirty water just goes down immediately and without fanfare (no loud scary WHOOSH), and then clean water comes down immediately. We have had lots of contractors in our home for various remodels using our toilets. Not once did a toilet clog. Actually, chronically constipated DD2 is the only one who has ever clogged a Toto and we're always able to resolve it on our own. It's only happened like 3 times over her lifetime (she's 12).

Keep in mind that when repairing/replacing, you'll want to use Toto parts if you want to keep that lovely flushing mechanism.

Invest in a good toilet auger. We have this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-K...6658/303528922
    I bought it after a plumber told me "Buy a toilet auger. Here, take a picture of mine so you know what it looks like. It will solve 95% of your clogs. If you can't clear a clog with this, THEN you call a plumber and spend the money."

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If the OP is in California you are limited to 1.28 gpf. I will say we had an old 1.6 gpf toilet in our old house bathroom (prior to remodel) and I was super skeptical that the 1.28 gpf would work but they have made so many advances in flush technology that it actually worked better then the old 1.6 gpf. We currently have pretty old toilets in our current house and we hate having to hold the lever down for so long (that was common in the first water saving toilets from the 90s) before the flush finally clears; we didn’t have to do that with the last Kohler we had in our old house.

Also lots of toilets have dual flush models (button on the top) and the plumbers/sales reps I have spoken to with my last remodel said that feature isn’t that necessary and that it is best to just stick with a regular flushing toilet system. The sales rep at Ferguson was the one who told me either American Standard Vormax, and Kohler 360 Revolution were as good as the Toto toilet system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast