kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Need Halloween ideas!

I'm starting to think about Halloween and trick-or-treating. We have a lot of kids in our neighborhood and I'm sure that some will still be ToTing. I'd like to provide candy but don't want to actually pass it out and be in a lot of close contact with the kiddos who come by.

I was thinking about doing goody bags of candy but would like a fun way to get them to the ToTers. I saw the "candy chute" idea and think it's great, but my yard is pretty flat so something like that wouldn't work too well. My current thought is decorating a folding table and putting it on our lawn somewhere. We could put the goody bags on it and then replenish when necessary. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun, though.

We have one tree that's in a good spot in the yard. Maybe have a "take a treat from the Treat Tree" sign and have clothes pins tied and dangling down with goody bags clipped to them? That might be more fun than a table? What do y'all think?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Can you do the table/goody bag ideas and set up some chairs a bit away? That way you can supervise and interact but stay safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I think the clothespin idea sounds cute, but honestly I don’t think most kids will care at all. And just grabbing a bag off of the table seems like more of a seamless process that will keep everything moving quicker. But you definitely don’t have to be in the house! I like SnuggleBuggles’ idea about putting your chairs a few feet from the table.

So, are goodie bags the way to go this year? We just buy a couple of big bags of fun size candy and typically give everybody two or three pieces. The idea of spending an extra $20-$30 on bags and then finding time to make said goodie bags seams exhausting. But if that’s the way in 2020...
    Last edited by carolinacool; 09-20-2020 at 02:13 PM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We were talking about this last night with our neighborhood driveway drinking group (various ages of neighbors who have always sat out front for years, on our cul de sac). The parents of younger kids said they are planning to go around like normal and said having people hand out wrapped candy is fine. We live in a quiet neighborhood, no crowds and people here are playing sports, shopping, eating at restaurants (outside and 25% inside). The local college caused a brief spike but that has dissipated.

Other parents around town from what I've heard plan to trick or treat as well, some trunk or treats as well.

There is plenty of space to do it safely as it's outdoors and you can wear a mask.

Ymmv depending on what your comfort level is, obviously there are folks here who are not comfortable with any social activities and others who have kids playing sports and working etc.

It will depend on very specific local norms. Our neighbor with small kids was so relieved to hear we were all planning to give out candy. I will wear a fun mask when giving out candy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I think the clothespin idea sounds cute, but honestly I don’t think most kids will care at all. I’m just grabbing a bag off of the table seems like more of a seamless process that will keep everything moving quicker. But you definitely don’t have to be in the house! I like SnuggleBuggles’ idea about putting your chairs a few feet from the table.

So, are goodie bags the way to go this year? We just buy a couple of big bags of fun size candy and typically give everybody two or three pieces. The idea of spending an extra $20-$30 on bags and then finding time to make said goodie bags seams exhausting. But if that’s the way in 2020...
    Use ziplocks (decorate with stickers if you want to jazz them up) or try the dollar store did goody bags. Make them up while binging some good shows.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Use ziplocks (decorate with stickers if you want to jazz them up) or try the dollar store did goody bags. Make them up while binging some good shows.

You are a genius! I can get storebrand snack-size bags for super cheap, and whatever we don’t use for Halloween we can just use at some point. So much easier than dealing with a twist ties. Thank you!
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    You are a genius! I can get storebrand snack-size bags for super cheap, and whatever we don’t use for Halloween we can just use at some point. So much easier than dealing with a twist ties. Thank you!
    I’ve been doing great bags that way for years. Sometimes I’ll use waxed paper bags if I want to be a bit more eco-friendly. I love me some stickers so it’s possible I just invent ways to use them!

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love the ziplock idea! I'll definitely try that.

I think the table is the winning idea. We can decorate it and decorate around it. We'll have a space set up for our chairs a little way off, too. I don't envision sitting out there all night, but it would be a good idea to have something set up. Our neighborhood is hit or miss with kids. Some years we have a lot, other years, nobody at all (no relation to the day of the week as far as we've been able to tell).