MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How do I explain a bad coach to DS?

DS2 is 8. He's playing travel soccer this year and LOVES soccer. He's very good at it and fully understands the game, much better than other kids his age. He has two coaches, one is ALWAYS yelling. He occasionally will give the kids praise, but not often. The entire game he is screaming at them. I'm embarrassed to even be sitting on the same side as he is. DS has been telling me he hates soccer, which just breaks my heart because he loves it. He's said numerous time that this coach is ruining it for him. Today DS was playing defense and was standing right by the line and the coach was standing right beside him. DS said that he said to himself (he does talk to himself a lot, so this doesn't surprise me) "Well, there goes the game" when a kid from the other team scored. DS said his coach then told him to "Shut Up. You need to have a positive attitude." I wouldn't have minded if he had said something like "We need to keep a positive attitude" or something like that. But it's not appropriate to say Shut up to an 8 year old. We have talked with DS that he needs to keep his thoughts to himself. He is a very matter of fact child, extremely intelligent, and sees things in black and white. The kid scored the goal with about 20 seconds left in the game and they were down by 2. So to him, this was an appropriate conversation that he whispered to himself and the only reason anyone heard it was because the coach happened to be standing right beside him. What can I say to DS to help him understand that some coaches just aren't the best coaches? I'm afraid if I say something to that effect, he'll say to the coach "You're just not the best coach." And he won't mean it rudely, but it will most definitely come across that way.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh!! I hate that for your DS. It's terrible that coach is ruining his love of the game.

I don't think you have to explain to your DS that the coach is a bad coach--he knows it. I would talk to him about "difficult people" and how they are hard to be around. They yell, they are tense, they make everyone else tense/stressed. I would explain to him that this coach is a difficult person who doesn't seem very happy. And then I would explain to him that you have shared this with him not to tell other adults, but to help him understand why the coach yells and says things that aren't kind like shut up.

ANY way to get him switched to a different team? Even if it means joining a different league and losing the money you've paid for the season? This coach seems like he will make the rest of the season miserable.
    K