Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lizliz, I'm curious why testing is so scarce for 16 and under. We gave multiple places for drive up or walk in testing, age isn't a factor. I'm not sure why they aren't allowing under 16 to test, as they are often asymptomatic but still spread it, as we have seen around here. If they open up your schools, they need to have adequate testing for school age kids.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Ours is pretty transparent. We have 2 cases - siblings in 1 elementary school. The letter sent to parents of the 2 classrooms is posted on the district website (no names). The entire district gets an update email on Fridays. That is also posted on the website. The state is posting them, but only on Mondays. I feel pretty good about it.
    Kris

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We're all remote so no personal experience.

I think the problem in all the "return to school" plans is weak plans for quarantining and testing. I can't imagine sending kids to school with no idea what kind of exposure they've had. I don't see why if the names aren't being posted that it is a violation of privacy?

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    We're all remote so no personal experience.

I think the problem in all the "return to school" plans is weak plans for quarantining and testing. I can't imagine sending kids to school with no idea what kind of exposure they've had. I don't see why if the names aren't being posted that it is a violation of privacy?
    I see both sides. On the 1 hand I absolutely want to know. But, if there is 1 3rd grade class and 1 kid who went home sick. You can ask you kid 'Who from your class went home sick today" Then they'll tell you it was Suzy. You're talking to your friend and casually mention Suzy is sick and they go on FB and blast Suzy's family - I saw her at the playground with no mask........

Wish everyone would just wear a freaking mask on their nose & mouth, leave it there and move on.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I see both sides. On the 1 hand I absolutely want to know. But, if there is 1 3rd grade class and 1 kid who went home sick. You can ask you kid 'Who from your class went home sick today" Then they'll tell you it was Suzy. You're talking to your friend and casually mention Suzy is sick and they go on FB and blast Suzy's family - I saw her at the playground with no mask........

Wish everyone would just wear a freaking mask on their nose & mouth, leave it there and move on.
    Oh gosh. That's just horrible. I haven't seen any of that where I live.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Lizliz, I'm curious why testing is so scarce for 16 and under. We gave multiple places for drive up or walk in testing, age isn't a factor. I'm not sure why they aren't allowing under 16 to test, as they are often asymptomatic but still spread it, as we have seen around here. If they open up your schools, they need to have adequate testing for school age kids.

I wish I knew, and totally agree with everything you said! Maybe because I live in the South in a state where more people than not pretend the virus isn't real? Schools started here in early August. At that point, the only places that would test under 16 was the military hospital (but only for military dependents), the health department (by appointment only, and they were backed up 3+ weeks, so pointless really), and 1 single state-affiliated testing site at a hospital -- but that testing site was a symptomatic testing site where you had to have 2+ symptoms with fairly high severity to get tested. So if a parent knew their child had a known exposure, even a close one, there was really no way to get them tested -- at least in a timely fashion. The school districts and the state didn't really coordinate or communicate, so I guess no one considered that there should be plenty of testing available BEFORE schools opened. Since schools opened there was a bit of an outcry over how hard it was to test kids, and the state-affiliated hospital opened a "kids only" site about a week ago. So things are better now, but it should have been in place a month+ ago.....

There seems to be a lot of restrictions here for younger kids (like, pharmacies can't do flu shots for kids under 12, whereas other places I've lived it was 4+), so I wonder if somehow the testing fell under rules like that.
    Lizi

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids are full time cyber currently, but my 14 yr. old is still practicing daily with the cross country team outside so I like to stay in the know on things. Our district has been pretty good giving information I think. The week school opened we got a call about a teacher that was confirmed positive that had only been in school the prior week for teacher training, so no exposure to kids. The second week we got a call about two more cases, one at an elem. and one at the high school, and the number of students quarantined from this. Since then we have gotten only emails with updates when cases turn up. Anyone who has been in close contact (which they now consider means within 6 feet for 15 minutes or more) is contacted, but the general public only hears which school has the case, not grade level or classroom. Just had one tonight, but it is only 1-2 cases in a building, so schools are still all open. If more cases pop up in the next week I think there will need to be some closures. Other districts around us have had closures ranging from a few days to 2 weeks.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The NEA has started compiling a list of school related cases. Educators and the public are encouraged to post of any cases in their community:
    https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish...WqLO2q3kGKO03s

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I saw our old school district in Utah has a very detailed website, lists how many kids at the school, how many are in person and how many cases wirh a percentage. One high school has 90 cases!!!!

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our local schools are reporting. Sometimes entire grades at a school are sent home for virtual learning (Kinders a couple of weeks ago, 6th grade at another school last week), but mostly it's a few staff members and a handful of students. An entire high school went remote yesterday for a week or two and of course, football games are now being cancelled. Last I heard there were at least 9 games statewide canceled for high school this week and one college, of the ones that are playing now; some aren't having athletics.
    K

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast