Thread: Birthday Fun

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Birthday Fun

*sigh*

MIL asked last week for suggestions for DD2 for her birthday this weekend. She has also announced multiple times that she does NOT feel comfortable in stores right now. (Fully understandable!) So I sent her an Amazon link to a painting set DD2 would love. She has Prime. She can get it delivered right to her house or STRAIGHT TO US! I also gave her a couple of other ideas in case she didn't like that one or she wanted a little more, etc. We're golden, right?

Today, she called. From Barnes and Noble. Where she is wandering through the toy section. Complaining that she "can't find that thing you sent me". The crap?!? And can't I tell her something she can get from there? *sigh* I told her what DD2's favorite book series is & reminded her that she likes Legos (which were on the other items list) and asked if they had any of the American Girl accessories because she likes those. But, really??? Why not hit the order button on the link I sent?

And DH wonders why I hate giving her wish lists for the kids....
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Uggh - that would drive me bonkers!!

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

OMG! I would be screaming!
    Lizi

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That would annoy me to no end!!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh my. That is super frustrating. Does she not know how to use prime?? My parents can be frustrating clueless about technology sometimes. Like I think they get it because they can do some things which seem more advanced... but there are holes in what they are capable of.

I'm so sorry OP. You handled it great and it sounds like she'll get something that she loves!

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No. She knows. She just never buys anything I ask her to get the kids.

To add to the difficulty in being upset, I know that she was shopping not just for DD2, but also DNiece & DNephew who are having a birthday party (don't get me started) this weekend. So, BIL/SIL may have given her ideas that could be bought there, or more likely, she was given ideas by them she didn't agree with too and was calling them from inside the store.

The last couple of years, she's insisted on taking the kids shopping for themselves and bought them little things that get lost/broken/etc instead of picking up one nice gift. The kids have ever gone in WANTING one nice big gift & she's insisted that that won't work with her budget, and then spends double the cost of the one thing. *sigh* So, this isn't as annoying as it is some years. (The gift I sent her was about $25. The gifts she's gotten the other two were ~ $50. DS she'll buy a video game & he & she are happy. The girls "don't really want that" if they tell her something of similar value to DS's video game, but once again she spend the same amount.)
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

YEP! I honestly get so frustrated this time of year with all the relatives. My mother begs for ideas, then questions each one and gives me reasons why it's not a good idea. Even lists that come directly from DC, she calls me to tell me why it might not be the right choice! ARGH!

The in-laws ask for ideas and then buy whatever they want. When DC was an infant they told me they would buy her first snowsuit for Christmas. I gave them some suggestions and did NOT buy one since DC was getting it for Christmas. Except, they didn't buy her a snowsuit for Christmas and all the ones I had been looking at were sold out! I was livid, never again!

OP, you are NOT ALONE!

Are your kids old enough to enjoy gift cards? I would just ask for Amazon gift cards and call it good, or just plain cash!

I’m saying this from someone whose mom is like that too. I gave up on her, and the boys just donate her gifts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14