Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It's hard because his ONLY covid symptom is the cough-- no fever, chills, etc which I realize a lot of people have it completely asymptomatic but even the nurse doing the test said that if he has a runny nose and congestion then it will not be covid; that's never been a symptom. (The CDC says otherwise though).

I think according to the little chart the school sent out I could send him back but... I don't want anyone at school to be annoyed that he's there. And truthfully he could have a lingering cough for the next week or two. He can't stay out that long.
    Last edited by petesgirl; 09-21-2020 at 09:34 PM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    Then what is the point of testing? Not trying to be flippant, but this is interesting to me.
    Because a positive result is almost certainly COVID (most are 95% or higher on the positive side).

I get it.. it seems like a negative test would be a "get out of isolation" card, but in a symptomatic case, it isn't always. Multiple negative tests over time in an asymptomatic person have more predictive value, but one negative in a symptomatic person is still an unknown.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    It's hard because his ONLY covid symptom is the cough-- no fever, chills, etc which I realize a lot of people have it completely asymptomatic but even the nurse doing the test said that if he has a runny nose then it will not be covid; that's never been a symptom.

I think according to the little chart the school sent out I could send him back but... I don't want anyone at school to be annoyed that he's there. And truthfully he could have a lingering cough for the next week or two. He can't stay out that long.
    That nurse needs to read up. On the CDC website, runny nose is absolutely listed as a symptom.

I will say that the guidelines do vary and have updated as they go on, so probably best to call the school and discuss your specifics, but improved symptoms is usually one of the criteria, so if the cough is worse, I would hold off sending him back.

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    That nurse needs to read up. On the CDC website, runny nose is absolutely listed as a symptom.

I will say that the guidelines do vary and have updated as they go on, so probably best to call the school and discuss your specifics, but improved symptoms is usually one of the criteria, so if the cough is worse, I would hold off sending him back.
    Cough was worse on Saturday, but better today.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Definitely talk to the school.
    DS2 is on hybrid, but the in person days start next week (our county rate is getting better). The principal gave a presentation last week to prepare parents, and he flat out said that if a child has even a runny nose, s/he should be kept at home. And when kids are at home, they can log into the remote learning for that day to keep up. DS2 has allergies and despite taking his medication daily, some mornings he just wakes up runny/sniffly/sneezy. I'm relieved that there is a plan to keep him learning.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's hard because his ONLY covid symptom is the cough-- no fever, chills, etc which I realize a lot of people have it completely asymptomatic but even the nurse doing the test said that if he has a runny nose and congestion then it will not be covid; that's never been a symptom. (The CDC says otherwise though).

Just send him with his documentation for the negative test and let the teacher and admin know.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    Definitely talk to the school.
    DS2 is on hybrid, but the in person days start next week (our county rate is getting better). The principal gave a presentation last week to prepare parents, and he flat out said that if a child has even a runny nose, s/he should be kept at home. And when kids are at home, they can log into the remote learning for that day to keep up. DS2 has allergies and despite taking his medication daily, some mornings he just wakes up runny/sniffly/sneezy. I'm relieved that there is a plan to keep him learning.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    I wish our schools plan for continued learning was working. I have been emailing and sending message in google classroom every day to his teacher and she has never responded. I even called and texted her cell (which she said for us to use!) Last night and got no response. I guess I try the principal today and see if there is anyway I can pick up his books at school.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wish our schools plan for continued learning was working. I have been emailing and sending message in google classroom every day to his teacher and she has never responded. I even called and texted her cell (which she said for us to use!) Last night and got no response. I guess I try the principal today and see if there is anyway I can pick up his books at school.
    I can't believe nobody is contacting you. That's crazy! You really can't do much more...I would definitely try to call through the office today. Since kids are attending school they have to be there.

I have to agree with posters who say it could still be COVID. It is so hard to know. I really hope it isn't COVID since I remember that you have some preexisting conditions at your home (if I'm remembering correctly?) I think ten days post symptoms should probably be observed. You obviously need a better plan for continuing learning with your DS though!

Keep calling until you get an answer. Again, this is just crazy! They need to have a better plan.

At our school, if a child has any of the symptoms they are are sent home. They can return with a negative covid result and note from a HCP. However, they also made remote learning work well so far. Cameras are in every classroom and students can log in on a day they stay home and still be counted in the attendance records.

Well, I called his teacher this morning and she said to keep him home the rest of the week. I asked to get his books and she said "Oh don't worry about it, he can make up the work on the weekend. I will drop them off on your porch on Friday after school." Apparently it's a school policy that parents aren't allowed on school campus this year so he needs to know in advance if he is going to be sick the nest day so he can bring his stuff home.
    Yay. By the weekend he will be a whole week behind. Guess I should have homeschooled this year. He gets a couple colds like this each year, so we will probably be missing a couple months total anyway.
    Last edited by petesgirl; 09-22-2020 at 12:15 PM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast