Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Also, don't take the peds advice on insurance, seriously find a good pharmacy who is knowledgeable.

Fwiw, BC using good rx is 14 a month at our pharmacy, and can be used each month, a friends DD doesn't have insurance and buys it there.

I wonder why the ped is saying insurance won't cover acne dx? My kids have medicaid and it's covered and I would think that other regular insurance would too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wonder why the ped is saying insurance won't cover acne dx? My kids have medicaid and it's covered and I would think that other regular insurance would too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Hmmn, the insurance is via medicaid. The pediatrician tends to know her stuff on this type of thing, but maybe by chance she is wrong and it's only specific medications that are not covered for acne. Hard to know and I need to think about what I would say if I call the company that manages our Medicaid here but need to be careful what I ask.

Just to clarify as far as the birth control, the ped did assess which medication to prescribe and decided birth control wasn't right, not only because DD is not sexually active but also because she doesn't have cramps or any other issues with her periods. On the other hand, it might be worth me asking the ped to prescribe birth control since the other medication has not been covered. I think the issue is she might consider it insurance fraud if she is really prescribing for acne and the company doesn't cover it. So, I just need to think about what to do.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We were just discussing this with our ped today. She said the BP clindamycin combo is more expensive even with insurance for whatever reason, so we are starting with clindamycin wipes alone, then going from there. BP and Differin have not helped to much.

Was the ped talking about BC because of the risk of birth defects with Retin A and Accutane? Some kids are put on BC when they start those meds because of that risk if there is any chance they would be sexually active. We have not tried those meds yet, so I might be mistaken.

BC is not a magic bullet for acne. DD is taking it for debilitating cramps, and made her skin worse at times.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    We were just discussing this with our ped today. She said the BP clindamycin combo is more expensive even with insurance for whatever reason, so we are starting with clindamycin wipes alone, then going from there. BP and Differin have not helped to much.
    We get that combo through an online specialty pharmacy and it’s much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    We get that combo through an online specialty pharmacy and it’s much cheaper.

WatchingThemGrow, which online pharmacy and do you apply your insurance or not? Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

I react horribly to benzoyl peroxide, but I do very well on Ziana. We jump though the hoops every few years to get it covered because of my history with cystic acne, but one tube lasts us 6-12 months, and that’s with three of us using it.

I react horribly to benzoyl peroxide, but I do very well on Ziana. We jump though the hoops every few years to get it covered because of my history with cystic acne, but one tube lasts us 6-12 months, and that’s with three of us using it.

OP here- I have been researching and getting close to make decisions.

Getting ready to try the clindamycin solution in combo with Differin .1% and will find some benz. peroxide to try along with that.

ETA: Cant find the clindamycin solution at an affordable price or with a coupon so still figuring things out.

thanks for the help.

Thanks!
    Last edited by JustMe; 09-27-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    WatchingThemGrow, which online pharmacy and do you apply your insurance or not? Thanks!
    PruGen pharmaceuticals is the one. Sorry for the delay. I couldn’t find the name anywhere but the derm was able to tell me at the appointment.

Default Dd's acne medication too expensive/not covered --any ideas or options

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    PruGen pharmaceuticals is the one. Sorry for the delay. I couldn’t find the name anywhere but the derm was able to tell me at the appointment. I think they turned in my insurance. Not sure. It was cheap though!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast