Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Dd's acne medication too expensive/not covered --any ideas or options

We met with dd's pediatrician regarding dd's acne and the ped. prescribed 2 medications (retin A and clindamycin with benzoyl peroxide) It may be a specific type of retin A; I don t have the prescription info in front of me . She warned us that she did not think the insurance would cover medication for acne, but thought it might cover one. It does not cover either and I was quoted $400 for one of these meds. I did see that GoodRx has coupons (these are not a scam, correct) that reduce the price significantly, but on an ongoing basis, which is what the dr is recommending, even those prices are just not possible for us. I understand that it effects dd significantly to have this acne and we want to reduce it so I just thought I would check in anyone has any ideas. The dr does not want to prescribe birth control since dd is not sexually active and she does not feel this is indicated.

-I do think this medication is indicated for dd, but wonder if OTC stuff is worth a shot given that I cant afford the meds. She has not really tried much OTC that I think makes sense (she watches youtubers and took some of their advice, but I think a lot of it is counter-indicated). Any OTC med worth trying?
    -Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you can, move beyond the pediatrician to a dermatologist. They may have more luck getting scripts covered or have some more specific information on OTC, ect.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    If you can, move beyond the pediatrician to a dermatologist. They may have more luck getting scripts covered or have some more specific information on OTC, ect.
    Yes to this. Plus dermatologists often have samples you can try before you commit, and they have a better handle on generic equivalents or OTC.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes see if you can get her to a dermatologist. I didn’t get a referral until I was 15 and I would’ve been super happy had I had one years earlier at 11 or 12. Samples will last you a long time and there might be other options like Benzaclin, which could be covered. Insurance companies have gotten super tight with approving Retin A because it is an anti aging medication as well vs. purely just something used for acne.

I spent years going to a dermatologist and even did a six month course of Accutane as a last resort at 18 (I hate the life long side effects, but overall the results were positive and I would’ve been happier had I started it at 15), but there are some awesome OTC products out there. I tried Proactiv in my mid 20s and it worked okay getting rid of the cystic acne that I was dealing with, but I couldn’t use long term because of the dry skin side effect from Accutane. I am currently using Beautycounter’s Counter Control regimen and I really like it for myself. The scrub is gentle, the SA topical treatment doesn’t break me out (I am very sensitive to products with SA in them....they tend to make breakouts even worse) and the toner is gentle.

Also it sounds crazy but in my mid 20s when my IBSC started to flare my doctor told me that reducing the amount of wheat products I ate would help my IBSC and another unexpected side effect was that it cleared up my skin so much I no longer had to take daily pills for acne (yes I still had to take those post Accutane). I haven’t taken an oral acne drug in 16 years. Yes limited wheat in your diet is a major PIA, but it truly does help in keeping your skin clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Def get a referral to dermatologist, they have more bandwidth to prescribe different generic brands that come close to the RX you were suggested today. Also like the pp said, they often have samples for your DD to try.

Also, no BC? I didn’t catch but your DD is 15? And not prescribing BC because she’s not sexually active is just poor advice, imo. I would seriously look into it, cuz it worked for me 25-30 years ago when I was 15 and wasn’t sexually active. And this was early 90’s in a ultra catholic country too! You just have to advocate for her if BC route may work out better cuz it is cheaper often times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I wonder if you could talk to your doctor about OTC options that are similar. For instance, I know that Differin is sold OTC now, and I believe it's a similar product to Retin-A (they're not the same, but I think they're both retinoids). It's not cheap, but it's not $400 either! There's easily obtained benzoyl peroxide things OTC too.....and Clindamycin is usually pretty cheap so I'm guessing that's not where the cost is coming from?

I know you really wanted to stay with DD's pediatrician as a first line, but I echo everyone else and say that if you're looking to have to spend some $$ now anyways (a lot of the OTC stuff isn't cheap either!), it's worth working with a dermatologist. They are better versed at how to get things covered and also on what's out there OTC that can work similarly.
    Lizi

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    Also, no BC? I didn’t catch but your DD is 15? And not prescribing BC because she’s not sexually active is just poor advice, imo. I would seriously look into it, cuz it worked for me 25-30 years ago when I was 15 and wasn’t sexually active. And this was early 90’s in a ultra catholic country too! You just have to advocate for her if BC route may work out better cuz it is cheaper often times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This is the same for me. I don't know current advice obviously, but I do know I was prescribed it WAY before I was anywhere close to sexually active, solely for acne. It made a huge difference for me and I'm really glad I did it.
    Lizi

I agree the dermatologist would be a great option, although I know it’s not always easy to get in and see one soon.

A few years ago, I was having some acne issues and the dermatologist prescribed some sort of face cream. It was over $100 for a 90 day supply. I Think I filled the first prescription, but a couple weeks later I got a shipment from a mail order pharmacy at no cost to me. I think I just assumed the dermatology office had redeemed a coupon or something. Anyhoo, I got two or three more shipments and used it for about a year. By then, the issue has cleared up and I didn’t need it anymore.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

cmo is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

When my teen first went to the dermatologist, she started with Differin. It used to be prescription, but became OTC a couple years ago. The derm said it's her go-to med for teens to start with.

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Also it sounds crazy but in my mid 20s when my IBSC started to flare my doctor told me that reducing the amount of wheat products I ate would help my IBSC and another unexpected side effect was that it cleared up my skin so much I no longer had to take daily pills for acne (yes I still had to take those post Accutane). I haven’t taken an oral acne drug in 16 years. Yes limited wheat in your diet is a major PIA, but it truly does help in keeping your skin clear.

Eliminating wheat from my diet is the only thing that worked for me after a decade of dermatologists and prescriptions and over the counter stuff. I wish someone would have recommended it sooner! Dermatologists kept telling me diet has nothing to do with my skin

Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast