Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a 1st and 4th grader. Both are going very well especially considering the spring. They are occupied from 9-3:30 with a mixture of synchronous and independent learning. It appears to closely resemble their normal school day really. So they have morning meeting and then a class lesson. Then they may split into smaller groups working independently, taking a break or small group learning with the teacher. The teacher then brings them back together to wrap up the lesson, and then they transition. They each have one special a day done synchronously. I have been impressed at how well it is going and I think most people agree. I want them back in the classroom for the social aspect and to get them out of the house, but this has been good.

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Does your first grader use wired headphones? Maybe you could get something like this headphone splitter and listen in on her class with her occasionally.

My youngest is in 5th grade and is doing much better this fall than she did last spring. It is much more engaging and they are having live classes 4 days a week with some independent assignments those days as well and all independent work on Wednesdays.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My ADHD 5th grader is such a disaster we just hired a full time tutor who is a former paraeducator in our system to work with him. They have zooms from 9-3:15 a day though there is a 1.5 hour break in the middle and smaller 10 minute breaks throughout the day. They're recording the lessons so our plan is to move him to more asynchronous work to cut down on the time he needs to be "on", particularly for math. My 3rd grader is fine, as in my 7th grader.

I've always been a huge fan of teachers (lots of them in my family), but MAN are they amazing. Keeping my third grader focused has been more challenging this fall than I imagined it would be. I know he's trying. Things are changing here, though, and schools are preparing to send everyone back 5 full days a week. We aren't comfortable with that, but it appears as though things are about to go downhill for kids who remain virtual. I'm not at all thrilled with how our district is handling this. So we're not sure what we're going to do. Maybe I'll have more opportunity to be involved and that'll be a good thing?
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My kids are hybrid and are remote every other day and every afternoon. A remote day that doesn't end with either me or DS2 (2nd grade) in tears would be a success for us. I am not worried about academics at this point, but am extremely worried about social skills. I also do not have the bandwidth to remind him of and log him into every meeting and keep him on task with assignments and do my own full time job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2