Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Where to go, weekend away with DH?

So it's our anniversary next week and normally we head to Palm Desert with all my best friends and their families every year for a fun weekend since it's also my best friend's birthday and we got married in Palm Springs. Obviously that's not happening this year. DH and I have never really been on a vacation on our own or away from the kids for more than 1 night since we never really had anyone to stay home with them. Well now my mom lives with us and isn't working, so it's a great time to go somewhere finally! Anyone know of a place within driving distance we can get away to for a weekend? Specific hotels or places to stay? DH mentioned Ojai since we've never been. I don't drink so not sure if that's the best place. I know there's not much we can do since everything in CA is still pretty much shut down, but even just relaxing and doing nothing sounds nice lol!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Santa Barbara? I love it up there, used to go to for weekends away when I lived in San Diego. We stopped in Ojai one time, did a nice hike and shopped at some cute shops. We also did winery tours in the wineries outside of Santa Barbara (still neat if you don't drink, if your dh does he can taste and you drive). Id say look to see what hotels are open, not sure how shut down that part of CA is. My friend did a hockey camp there in July and found plenty of hotels open.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Where to go, weekend away with DH?

When we thought we were going to have to stay in a hotel for the weekend when we had our house tented I looked in San Diego and called a few places and they all said they stayed open (this was in late July after things started shutting down again). We ended up staying at my Grandma’s house in Lake Arrowhead so it was a moot point, but plenty of places stayed open. If you do truly want to relax and do nothing I do suggest Lake Arrowhead. The air quality is great, driving around the mountain is easy and you don’t have to fee like drinking is the only thing to do. You could probably some easy hikes as well. Now is a great time to go because it isn’t tourist season. Should be some good deals on Airbnbs or you can stay at the resort. Let me know if you have any questions.

I also really love the central coast. We usually start north of Santa Barbara and work our way back south.

We have done two trips:
    Started in Pismo Beach and stayed at Pismo Lighthouse Suites, which sits on a cliff above the ocean (Avila Lighthouse Suites in Avila Beach are supposed to be nice as well) We then spent a day or two at the beach, and on the third day drove to Hearst’s Castle, and then on the fourth day drove home, but stopped at the Santa Barbara Mission. This trip we took the kids and went in 2015.

The other trip was for our 5th anniversary in 2008 without the kids. We started in Cambria and stayed at the Blue Dolphin Inn (this is an ocean front property), and then the next day went to Hearst Castle and then after the castle stopped in San Luis Obispo for lunch, and then continued on to Santa Barbara where we spent three nights. We did a Wine Country Jeep tour through Cloud Climber Jeep tours and it was great. I think they might have other non wine drinking tours though. Then we spent one day just hanging out and riding bikes on the beach, and then the last day we went to the mission and drove home. In Santa Barbara we stayed at the Harbor House Inn, which was a cute little renovated motor inn in a boutique style. This was before Airbnb were a thing though so I am sure in both places you will find an Airbnb in Santa Barbara for about the same price as a boutique hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-24-2020 at 11:31 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Sounds like you could go anywhere and have a good time! I recommend getting an AirBnB, cabin or cottage. Preferably with AC. You may find yourselves staying inside more than usual, thanks to the shut down, and will appreciate the extra space. DH and I recently spent a few days away together. We hiked every morning and took long walks in the evenings. Spent the hot afternoons indoors reading and relaxing. It was wonderful. The funny thing is, just like you, we usually would have spent this time with family and friends, and we love those gatherings. Without the shut down, we wouldn't have done this. We ended up really enjoying it.

If you like hiking, Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead would fit. If you just want to take a relaxing stroll by the beach and eat good food, you've got so many choices along the coast!

I like the idea of a Central Coast vacation and agree with Annie re: Pismo Beach. We've enjoyed road trips to Pismo Beach, stopping in Paso Robles (although I know you said you don't drink so wineries/breweries don't make sense for you). San Luis Obispo is close enough if you want something more "lively" (although I don't know what the COVID restrictions are there). But we enjoyed staying at the Pismo Beach Lighthouse Suites, walking down to the beach, enjoying the sunset, and eating at some great Pismo restaurants.

Happy early Anniversary and have a great time whatever you decide!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Good for you! Going away with friends isn't the same as just the 2 of you. I'd probably pick Santa Barbara.

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

So funny, I was thinking the same as Annie- either Lake Arrowhead or central coast. We love this place in lake arrowhead and I would feel totally comfortable going there covid-wise because it’s all private little cabins: https://www.pinerose.com

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Good for you! Going away with friends isn't the same as just the 2 of you. I'd probably pick Santa Barbara.
    That’s what I’d pick too. It’s probably my favorite city. Double check they don’t shut down the beaches though! They just did for Labor Day even though LA and Ventura Co we’re open!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    That’s what I’d pick too. It’s probably my favorite city. Double check they don’t shut down the beaches though! They just did for Labor Day even though LA and Ventura Co we’re open!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks everyone for the ides! I sent some to DH to check out.

We just spent 5 nights in Big Bear last month, all 5 of us, so don't think I want to go there again especially since it was super crowded as we were leaving (we were there during the week and left Sat morning).

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast