Default When to see a derm for acne in DC?

DD (10) started getting pimples here and there last year. It’s now starting to worsen and the thread on acne treatments got me thinking...at what point do you see a dermatologist? I had horrible acne as a child and had to do a course of Accutane when all else failed. I’m afraid she might be following in my footsteps.

If treatment is started early, can severe acne be prevented? My hesitation is that she is young and it would be difficult for her to keep up with a regimen but I also would love to spare her the misery of really bad acne.

ETA: I also meant to ask - what is an OTC mild product she can start with? I am trying to get her into a face washing routine but it’s hit or miss. I think I’m going to add a reminder to my phone.
    Last edited by sf333; 09-23-2020 at 08:45 AM.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I didn’t start until I was 15 and I wish I would’ve started earlier at are kind 12 or 13. Dd2 is 10 and starting to get mini whiteheads on her forehead and nose so I will probably start asking the doctor at her 11 year old well visit and if the referral doesn’t happen then then I will request it for sure at 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had to take my DD right after she turned 11, it got bad very quickly as she started her period very early and her hormones were a mess. I had no experience with pimples or acne myself really and her ped took one look and said, get to a dermatologist which we did and I am thankful we did. I found DD at 11 was able to follow the routine for cleansing etc pretty easily after the dermatologist explained it to her (she is an amazing derm who I love!).

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Does she have a good cleaning routine? Does she wash her hair often enough to prevent it from being oily on her face? Does she change her pillowcase every 4 or so days? I would do these things before going to the derm at 10 years old and see if you can see some improvements. If you don't see any improvements after a month or so of conscientious cleaning, I'd schedule an appt.
    K

diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

https://www.ulta.com/renewing-sa-cle...mpprod13531041

Would this be appropriate for 11-year-old child? Thinking of letting my 11-year-old dd use it for very mild whiteheads on the nose.

. I was reading about salicylic acid and being very careful with children and teens especially if they had flu or might have lower the getting better because it causes Reyes syndrome it sounds scary especially when all this cold going around and flu season coming up..

Quote Originally Posted by diamond View Post
    https://www.ulta.com/renewing-sa-cle...mpprod13531041

Would this be appropriate for 11-year-old child? Thinking of letting my 11-year-old dd use it for very mild whiteheads on the nose.

. I was reading about salicylic acid and being very careful with children and teens especially if they had flu or might have lower the getting better because it causes Reyes syndrome it sounds scary especially when all this cold going around and flu season coming up..

The cerave acne wash with benzoyl peroxide is a better option. Use it just once daily and then a gentle cleanser the other tome of day. Cerave foaming face wash is a great first step if you are not looking for a medicated one.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cckwmh View Post
    The cerave acne wash with benzoyl peroxide is a better option. Use it just once daily and then a gentle cleanser the other tome of day. Cerave foaming face wash is a great first step if you are not looking for a medicated one.
    Be very very careful with clothing and towels if you're having your child wash with a benzoyl peroxide product! It's basically bleach -- even a small amount not washed off the face will bleach towels or ruin clothes. I ruined quite a few shirts and towels as a child before we realized what was causing it.....
    Lizi

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Be very very careful with clothing and towels if you're having your child wash with a benzoyl peroxide product! It's basically bleach -- even a small amount not washed off the face will bleach towels or ruin clothes. I ruined quite a few shirts and towels as a child before we realized what was causing it.....
    YES!!! I actually ruined all my flat sheets and pillowcases too way back when I used to use benzoyl peroxide. I won't let that stuff into my house now!

I have 1 body towel and 1 hand towel that were recently ruined by bleach. I have no idea how and they were my new super expensive Restoration Hardware towels that I love. So bummed!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

the term has had DD1 (13) using a 4% benzyl peroxide wash that we buy on amazon (each bottle lasts a LONG time) and she washes with it every night. It has made a huge difference for her. Barely an acne now. We see the derm every 12months or so as needed. We have been going to the derm since age 5 bc DD has a this psoriasis like thing on her ankles that respond well to a cream but they like to keep an eye on it. When the first little pimples started to appear, they were all over it.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Quote Originally Posted by trales View Post
    the term has had DD1 (13) using a 4% benzyl peroxide wash that we buy on amazon (each bottle lasts a LONG time) and she washes with it every night. It has made a huge difference for her. Barely an acne now. We see the derm every 12months or so as needed. We have been going to the derm since age 5 bc DD has a this psoriasis like thing on her ankles that respond well to a cream but they like to keep an eye on it. When the first little pimples started to appear, they were all over it.
    What's the 4% bp wash? I bought the cerave one for DD. It was working for a while but her acne has been out of control recently.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Baby Bargains mobile app