mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default When did your DC stop playing with dolls?

We have a random day off school and DD has two friends over. She cleaned her room yesterday to get ready for their visit and I noticed she put all her AG stuff in her closet. She is 11 and in 6th grade and has mostly moved on from toys. She has a couple younger girls she plays with and I know the AG stuff is played with then but I don’t think she has used on her own in a while. Last Christmas was the first without AG stuff on her list. I feel like it is the end of an era and it is making me sad today. She wants to keep the dolls (packed away in attic) and sell the accessories.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD1 is newly 12 and in 7th. She still plays with her dolls some, but I think that's helped by having a younger sister to play with. And, last Christmas was the first one in our house without AG on it.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

My DD was never really into dolls. But by 5th grade, she was most definitely not going to play with dolls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

She's 12 1/2 and in 7th grade and hasn't stopped yet. But no one else around here seems to be interested. (We've been on lockdown since March, but even before that).

FWIW DD is a late bloomer. She's short and not developed much. I don't know if that's related at all but thought I'd share.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

wendibird22 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it is somewhat personality related. 13yr old DD1 has never been much into dolls. Her last AG was Xmas 2yrs ago but even by then she liked to change their outfit but not play with them. DD2 is 5th grade and still actively plays with her AGs, Barbies, etc.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My DD is 12 and in 7th grade. She still plays with her AG dolls, but a lot of it is crafting (making clothes/props/accessories), elaborate set ups and videos now. She and a couple friends (who are in 7th and 8th) write scripts and do stop motion videos with the AG dolls and have a YouTube channel where they post them. I agree that a lot of it is personality and also if they have friends that are still into it. My daughter and one of the friends have little sisters too, who they sometimes involve as well. I don't think it is maturity related with them...in most other ways I would say 2 of the 3 girls are more mature (physically and emotionally) including my daughter than many of their peers.

DD probably stopped in 5th grade but the dolls were still in the playroom and we found that when we had a group of kids her age over in 6th and even 7th grade (first half, before the world shut down) the dolls always made their way out in some way or another. This year summer (before 8th grade), I put all of them into storage. I'll admit that DH actually changed a few of their outfits as we had a nostalgic afternoon getting all of that stuff organized...

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

All depends on the child. My oldest DD (just turned 14) put her dolls in her closet probably last summer. But she still has gotten them out to have fashion shows with her younger sister a few times in the past year. Before she moved them to her closet she dressed them in seasonal clothing and displayed them on a bookshelf, all accessories were hidden in her closet. If a friend came over, she would hide the dolls in the closet as well. DD2 (will be 12 in Nov.) has a room full of various dolls and stuffed animals on display. She asked for doll accessories and clothing last year for her birthday and Christmas. She only plays with them if DD1 plays with her, but if we had friends over I think her friends would play with the dolls with her. Her friend set has always seemed more into imaginative play, whereas DD1's friends were giving up dolls buy 3rd and 4th grade and into older TV shows, music, fashion, and boys instead.

Even though the AG and similar dolls do not get as much play around here now, my girls have been obsessed with their Lego collection since quarantine started. They have AG mega blocks ones, and Lego Friends, Elves, and Princesses. They build elaborate houses, tree houses, house boats, etc. and then act out crazy story lines. It amazes me how much time they spend with their legos still.

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by acmom View Post
    My DD is 12 and in 7th grade. She still plays with her AG dolls, but a lot of it is crafting (making clothes/props/accessories), elaborate set ups and videos now. She and a couple friends (who are in 7th and 8th) write scripts and do stop motion videos with the AG dolls and have a YouTube channel where they post them. I agree that a lot of it is personality and also if they have friends that are still into it. My daughter and one of the friends have little sisters too, who they sometimes involve as well. I don't think it is maturity related with them...in most other ways I would say 2 of the 3 girls are more mature (physically and emotionally) including my daughter than many of their peers.
    This is DD too (13 and 8th grade)... she stopped playing with her dolls for a while but over the past year has rediscovered them for making stop motion videos. No Youtube channel but she shares the videos with her cousin (12 and 7th grade).
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07