Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Has the teacher read the IEP??? Modifying curriculum is a lot of work but its nothing new especially if the teacher is experienced and there is a coteacher. What does the SPED teacher say?

I'm 1000% with you on the no dog. You dont want it and no one else is going to care for it. How about a nice potted plant? She can name it and care for it. If she can keep it alive, maybe you can graduate to a fish or possibly a hamster.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    I frequently read your posts and admire your love for your daughter and dedication to advocating for her. She may not always realize it now, but she is very fortunate you are looking out for her best interests. You are an amazing mom even when it feels frustrating. I have no advice, but I do know your fighting for her will pay off in the end.
    Thank you so much!

In a weird way, DD does realize how great she's got it - she even says so! - so, I guess DH and I are doing something right. It's exhausting being the squeaky wheel, but if you're not, the school tends to steamroll you.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Has the teacher read the IEP??? Modifying curriculum is a lot of work but its nothing new especially if the teacher is experienced and there is a coteacher. What does the SPED teacher say?
    Each inclusion classroom has a core academic teacher (who we spoke with) and a SPED teacher in a team situation; we have not yet spoken with the SPED teacher for Social Studies. But, while we circled back to the core teacher's concerns, I interrupted to say that I really thought our next step was going to be consulting DD's case manager.

I need to review the IEP because I didn't get the sense that the teacher was truly familiar with DD's particular challenges.

I'm 1000% with you on the no dog. You dont want it and no one else is going to care for it. How about a nice potted plant? She can name it and care for it. If she can keep it alive, maybe you can graduate to a fish or possibly a hamster.
    She's done the potted plant thing with an onion that sprouted. Its name was Greeny and it died because she was at camp and I forgot about it.

I have a moratorium on pets in tanks, cages, hutches, or habitats ... and an aversion to small mammals as pets. (I'm also a bit nervous around dogs of all sizes, with a special kind of anxiety around very small and very large ones - the very small ones because I perceive them as extremely fragile and the very large ones because I still see them as if I were 8 years old and barely 4' tall interacting with the St Bernard down the street - Banner was a very good dog, but his bulk was very intimidating!)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10