First things first:

I am OK, DD is OK, and DH is getting to be OK, but I want to grouse a bit here because the rekindling of the friendship with the kid-down-the-street is a pain-point right now.

Kid-down-the-street ("S") and DD had a major blowout fight back in January. They stopped speaking to each other until about June/July when DH, seeing how miserable and isolated DD felt due to lockdown, tried to patch things up with S's mom to see if S was willing to start texting/FaceTiming while they played Animal Crossing's latest game.

They spent most of the summer pretty sociable and, with the easing of some additional restrictions and DD's good masking habits, have started riding bikes and walking the neighborhood together in the past month or so.

School started 2 weeks ago; both S and DD are in 5th grade and have their recess/lunch period at the same time. They've been hanging out during lunch since school started, either riding their bikes or, now that S has broken her arm, hanging out on S's front stoop and talking.

TODAY, however, S was irritated that DD hadn't responded to texts or FaceTime calls because DH and I have temporarily impounded DD's devices (iPod and iPad) to reduce her overall screen time outside of school. S, like any child who is upset, can say extremely cruel and cutting things. DD struggled to explain that her devices had been impounded, but S continued to insist that DD was hurting her feelings by not answering.

I appreciate the fact that different families' rules regarding technology use vary widely, but right now having my 10-year-old in tears and refusing to participate in the afternoon's lessons for school because of something outside her control is really unfair.

DD will not be getting her devices back any time soon (she has not yet earned them back), but, LORD save me from 5th grade girls!