Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 84
  1. #21
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    11,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I haven't heard from the pediatrician, either.

    There will be a Very Strongly-Worded Email sent to the 504 Plan team, with a reminder that DD is permitted to use her chew necklace (as needed) for focus and calm-down purposes.



    It's hard enough to manage the regular stuff.
    I know. You’re a great mom doing a great job advocating for your daughter. She’s lucky to have you!!
    for Carmen

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,989

    Default

    I'm really appalled that any educator would tell a child their necklace made them gag ... therapeutic or not. Its just wrong. Mean spirited.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and 2 cocker spaniels

  3. #23
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    13,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I'm really appalled that any educator would tell a child their necklace made them gag ... therapeutic or not. Its just wrong. Mean spirited.
    I agree and I don't care how far into her mouth DD shoved the pendant; keep your criticism to yourself.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

    "Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I agree and I don't care how far into her mouth DD shoved the pendant; keep your criticism to yourself.

    actually, is there any chance that there was a misunderstanding and that the person said she was afraid dd was going to gag herself?
    that might make a bit of sense....
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and 2 cocker spaniels

  5. #25
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    13,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    actually, is there any chance that there was a misunderstanding and that the person said she was afraid dd was going to gag herself?
    that might make a bit of sense....
    It would, and I would have accepted that, but that is 100% NOT what this teacher said.

    I feel that I should emphasize that it is not something DD reported to me because our school district is fully remote right now and DD sets up her work area in our dining room, with me nearby.

    I was in the dining room, working at the table, and I heard it myself.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

    "Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,989

    Default

    Sorry. I was hoping there was a mistake rather than someone saying something so horrible to a child
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and 2 cocker spaniels

  7. #27
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    13,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Sorry. I was hoping there was a mistake rather than someone saying something so horrible to a child
    I saw that, and I really do appreciate it, but this woman is a piece of work.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

    "Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

  8. #28
    hbridge is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,485

    Default

    The "chew necklaces" are amazing for the kids that need them. They should be able to use them as needed for as long as they are needed WITHOUT a 504, ESPECIALLY if it is remote! Your DC is sitting in her own kitchen on Zoom and is called out be a school staff member for accessing an "accomodation"????? I am so angry for you! Definitely talk to the head teacher, principal, ect. That is unacceptable!

    How is your child doing with self-confidence after such a comment? Whatever you do, please protect her self-confidence as much as you can!

    Sending hugs.

  9. #29
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    13,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    The "chew necklaces" are amazing for the kids that need them. They should be able to use them as needed for as long as they are needed WITHOUT a 504, ESPECIALLY if it is remote! Your DC is sitting in her own kitchen on Zoom and is called out be a school staff member for accessing an "accomodation"????? I am so angry for you! Definitely talk to the head teacher, principal, ect. That is unacceptable!
    Fortunately, DD didn't hear it because she was too busy growling and whining, although I did coach her through the following verbal response to the teacher:

    "I am allowed to chew on my necklace to help me calm myself down. It's part of my 504."

    How is your child doing with self-confidence after such a comment? Whatever you do, please protect her self-confidence as much as you can!

    ...
    She's fine, actually, and, like I said above, doesn't remember hearing this teacher make her comment.

    I do, however, mandate that the volume is turned up while she's working with this teacher because I don't trust that she won't make other comments like this again. She's really a piece of work.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

    "Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

  10. #30
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    13,005

    Default

    My skin is prickling all over because I've internalized all the stress from managing my own anxiety about the pandemic, dealing with DD's teachers, job hunting (HA!), and supervising school-at-home.

    DH is starting to talk about "the Arizona plan" in the event things get really bad here (again) because he doesn't want his mom to go through any health crises while unsupported by family. We would DRIVE out to AZ, through states that are currently on our state's travel restrictions list, taking suitcases, supplies, food, DD's schoolwork, our bikes, etc., all to live at his parents' 2nd home for an indeterminate time during a f^cking pandemic.

    I can't even begin to explain why this is a terrible idea. I appreciate that he isn't happy about letting his parents travel out west, and that he was a f^cking beast all spring/summer until the ILs got back from AZ, but HOLY [email protected]

    We won't be in our own space. (This bothers me. I'm fine with spending a week out there, but the prospect of spending months out there fills me with existential dread and sends my anxiety into the stratosphere.)

    DD already struggles with transitions; this is a big reason we've opted to keep her remote, but transitioning to a new space plus the time-shift? NO.

    I will be responsible for DD's schooling back-shifted 2 hours (so, rather than starting class at 8:45am, she'll start at 6:45am, which means I have to get her up earlier to feed her and give her breakfast) - which demands that we also impose on MIL & FIL for the use of the kitchen (main house w/kitchen vs casita w/o kitchen) earlier than we'd normally do.

    DH insists that MIL will be available to help with DD's school, but *I* insist that MIL has her own life and it's extremely unfair to expect her to assist. (I'm also suspicious of MIL's particular flavor of "help" - I love her and respect her opinions, but for DD, interventions from MIL will not be helpful.)

    DH insists that MIL & FIL "owe" us because of all the help they've given BIL/SIL with their kids, but I disagree. They're in their 70s. They're retired. They've raised their own children. They do not owe us one dang thing.

    I finally told him to stop bringing it up and plan for Thanksgiving instead - we won't be getting together in person because we simply do not know what's going on this year with numbers, restrictions, or the weather - so that if I have to figure out how to brine & cook a turkey, and the sides he likes, and desserts, I can grab a timeline. It's just too much!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

    "Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •