Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Anyone not have a dishwasher (by choice)?

Our dishwasher needs replacing- it has been leaking. I stopped using it about a month ago and am seriously considering not getting a new one. It seems like the most annoying appliance in the house lately. This one was ok for a few years, but I needed to stay on top of it- clean the filter and sprayers weekly etc. Then it started leaking. And lots of times things came out not looking so clean. The previous one we had was terrible- seriously only lasted 2 years and they were troublesome years, I had to get people out to fix it- cheap plastic parts that failed (and it was a high end kitchenaid). I haven't really minded washing the dishes and so far have been able to get the kids and dh to keep up with theirs for the most part too. The only time I think I would really miss it is if we had a party, but we don't that very often anyway and mostly entertain outside- could just use paper. I hate loading and unloading a dishwasher, and find washing the dishes somewhat meditative- although it's not like I have tons of time to spare. We could replace the dishwasher with a cabinet or extra drawers. And could always put one in later if we wanted it or for resale. Just wondering if I am crazy to consider this! My brother didn't put one in his old house and I thought he was crazy, (although he lived alone at the time) but now kind of see it.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We don’t have a dishwasher in our built in the 1920’s kitchen. We have redone the cabinets but because of the layout of the kitchen I’d lose valuable cabinet space if we put one in. I don’t mind doing dishes (unless I’ve been gone all day and no one else has bothered to do any), but our dish drainer is out all the time. We are all home most of every day, so we go through lots of dishes. I can not start cooking until I’ve washed all the dishes that accumulated between meals and then I have a sink of soapy water to wash as I go when cooking/fixing dinner/lunch/breakfast. We use Corelle plates and bowls which are great for not taking up a lot of space in the sink or dish drainer. I went through our silverware drawer and hid all but about 6 each of our spoons, forks and butter knives because I was fed up with them collecting in the bottom of the sink when I was out of the house (DH will do the dishes EXCEPT for the silverware) - it’s made a difference.
    DS 2/09

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oops! Double
    Last edited by Smillow; 09-27-2020 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Double

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have a functioning dishwasher, but we have hard water. So the results are not great. I ended up having to redo the dishes. Like you, I liked the meditative aspect of dishwashing. DH helps and DS1 (12) is supposed to do his. We are now in this mode for 10+ years. We also use Corelle.
    DH felt the cost of softening the water for the dish washer was not worth it after crunching the numbers. So we are making it work. I no longer enjoy dish washing. It's harder with New England winters and me having Raynaud's. Pre-COVID I worked outside the home full-time and was busy driving kids to activities after. I did not get a chance to do the dishes daily. It's better now that I work from home and DH does 99% of the cooking. But I still fantasize about being able to use a dish washer. I feel like it would improve the quality of our lives. That I could use that time for things like playing with the kids, going on a walk or reading a book...

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My dream is to have two dishwashers, so yeah I would never not have a dishwasher!

My best friend has 3 kids ages 2, 6, and 10 and doesn't have a dishwasher! Her husband is a contractor and just built an addition to their house since quarantine that includes another bedroom, bathroom, and loft but she still doesn't have a dishwasher! I don't get it and think she's crazy. She's also a special ed teacher so super busy with little time to be washing dishes. They've lived in the house for 10 years now, I wouldn't have even moved in until a dishwasher was added. She says she doesn't want to lose the cabinet space!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    My dream is to have two dishwashers, so yeah I would never not have a dishwasher!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    my friend moved into a house that must have been a kosher kitchen- 2 of everything. I was/am so jealous! It's great especially since she has 4 kids- lots of action in that kitchen. She's about to embark on a remodel and I am sure she's going to just go to.1 of each...which is a shame!

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I cringe a bit when I rent a house for a weekend with no dishwasher! So no, I would never be without

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I want two, not zero!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We just went without a dishwasher for three weeks. It was horrible. Five people home full time. I spent so much more time (than usual!!) washing dishes. It especially concerned me not to have a dishwasher in a pandemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I cannot imagine not having one and would love two for this stage of our life. Ours isn't the most effective right now and our new one will be installed this coming week. I'm planning to celebrate!!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast