Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My mother's used hers for storage for the past 20ish years. Me, I HATE washing dishes by hand. I just dont feel like they get clean enough - esp stuff that has had raw meat on them.

The house in NC didnt have a functional dw for several years. Neither my aunt nor mom minded .... they just did dishes all day long. Me, its a MUST have!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I hate our dishwasher. I also live in New England and have hard water. We bought a pricey Bosch dishwasher and its so temperamental. There is always junk getting stuck in the sprayer arms, which can't be taken apart. DH has to use toothpicks to pull corn out of the sprayer. NO idea how they got in there in the first place. We also have to clean the strainer cup all the time. And then, about every other dish load the dishes come out with crud on them. It's gross and disgusting. I would almost rather go without.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I’m in the "dishwasher is a must-have" camp, too. Early in the strict lockdown period this Spring, my 13-y.o. mid-level GE d/w suddenly gave up the ghost. My CCRC was being extra cautious about any outsiders on campus (all remodeling etc came to an immediate halt) and I was afraid I’d have to wait months to get a new one. Fortunately, the head of Maintenance pulled some strings and I got a new mid-level GE almost immediately. It’s fine, although if I had been able to shop and compare several models, I would have chosen one that is a better fit with my dishes.

The one really weird thing is that, in general, I have to do little or no prerinsing EXCEPT for cereal bowls. Any of my high-fiber cereal sticks like glue! Everything else comes out nicely clean, but the stuff stuck on cereal bowls won’t even come off with a fingernail nudge. I have to soak in detergent and scrub to get it clean. Very peculiar!! Needless to say, I have learned to prerinse those carefully!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Must have camp too! I grew up with a dishwasher that we hardly used cuz it was just mom & myself. It especially felt more redundant to have one once I was around 12/13 cuz out of house a lot with HS/sports and mum went back to school for her studies. We had different eating times and faster to just hand wash dishes.

My own home though? Must have one! I would love to have two. At least have 2 own to be a drawer dishwasher type, instead of full one. When my kids were little aka babies/toddler/preschooler, we only ran our dishwasher every other day to 3 days. Now it’s daily and sometimes twice a day, even more so with all 4 of us home all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I actually like doing dishes. My grandfather would wash the dishes after dinner and we had to take turns drying. It’s the only alone time you got with him. That said, I don’t have time to wash dishes everyday. We have a Bosch and it works just fine with our hard water. Occasionally I have to put dishwasher cleaner through it. We do have to make sure there’s rinse aid in it

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    I hate our dishwasher. I also live in New England and have hard water. We bought a pricey Bosch dishwasher and its so temperamental. There is always junk getting stuck in the sprayer arms, which can't be taken apart. DH has to use toothpicks to pull corn out of the sprayer. NO idea how they got in there in the first place. We also have to clean the strainer cup all the time. And then, about every other dish load the dishes come out with crud on them. It's gross and disgusting. I would almost rather go without.
    Sounds like a bad dishwasher, I've never had to do any of that I have an older Frigidaire Electrolux and only had to have a minor repair done. The guy did say, always use brand name dishsoap and

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I want two, not zero!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same here! We run ours twice a day so I cannot imagine living even a day without it. My sister does not use hers, so I know there are folks that are doing without one. The key is to not let anything pile up in the sink, which I imagine would need the entire family to be on board.
    I, on the other hand do not like hand washing silverware, plates, bowls, glasses etc.
    The only things I can tolerate hand washing is big cookware. Even the instant pots pot goes in the dishwasher here.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

I would never voluntarily not have one. When we had a week or two between our old one breaking and new one being installed we bought paper plates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ours doesn't work reliably well, but even then I wouldn't do without it. The amount of counter space a drying rack would take up would drive me crazy, we have very little counter space as-is. The lack of cabinet space I can solve much easier through storage in the basement, or just not accumulating extra appliances.

DH is bad enough about putting stuff in the dishwasher, no way would I want the constant fight of hand washing dishes! Plus the dishwasher gets things WAY cleaner then when we hand-wash.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

I can't imagine not having a dishwasher. I wash more by hand than many I know. Just because I hate leaving a pile on the counter and larger pots and suck mean I'd leave something out after most meals. I even use my china on a regular basis and don't mind hand washing those. But to do it every.single.day? No way.

Water usage is greater for hand washing. Losing the counter space to dry. Nope. When we moved two years ago the dishwasher was 25+ years and still worked. But was so small I could only fit 8 salad plates. First thing we replaced the second week we lived here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast