Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I live in Salt Lake City and no, I am not buying passes. It depends on where you live/want to ski. Our cases are haywire right now. I am not counting on skiing this year. Skiing is low risk--but that means you cannot go into the lodge. Um, I need to pee and I need to eat lunch. Not interested in never going inside.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I have a friend that works for epic, and it seems they will require reservations for skiing this year to enable distancing on the slopes. Not sure if this has been publicly announced, or how it will work with season passes during busy vacation weeks. Just throwing it out there as a consideration.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We've had Ikon passes the past few years but this year bought passes for Big Sky rather than Ikon because we own there and because the Big Sky pass holders will be prioritized over Ikon pass holders and it is a huge mountain that sees relatively low crowds most of the ski season. This is likely true at other Ikon mountains where they still offer a single mountain pass (not all do anymore). Not sure about Epic because its been years since we have skied an Epic mountain. We figure rather than bounce around, we will just ski at one spot this year and stay in our own home where we can ski home for lunch or a bathroom break. BUT - if we didn't own a place I think we would have rolled the dice with the Ikon because you can push it to 2021-22 if you need to do that. The reservations thing is a bit nerve wracking. But I also figure you need to go in prepared this year for an alternative activity - snowshoeing, fat tire biking, cross country skiing etc. in case not every day can be a ski day. Big Sky is not only allowing you to "push" like Ikon is, they are also going to prorate usage if the mountain gets shut down again and give a discount based on how many days you used before the closure. Not sure if other mountains are doing that as well - but that provides even more protection than the "push" by December option.

If you have a 4th grader, you can get him/ her a ski pass at a low (or no) cost. Our program in the midwest says 'free,' but I just completed the application, and it was $35. Hope the hills will be open this winter!

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I live in Salt Lake City and no, I am not buying passes. It depends on where you live/want to ski. Our cases are haywire right now. I am not counting on skiing this year. Skiing is low risk--but that means you cannot go into the lodge. Um, I need to pee and I need to eat lunch. Not interested in never going inside.
    Yeah, it's definitely the lodge that's the issue. Fortunately the cases in northern New England are still low...but the travel restrictions (needing to get tested before going to VT and ME) that have me worried that actually going may be difficult.

I'm ok going inside to use the bathroom while wearing a mask. I don't think that's all that different than going to the grocery store with other people in there. But I wouldn't be comfortable eating lunch inside. The places we booked are either on the mountain or very close by, so we could always go home for lunch. Or actually what I don't mind is eating a big breakfast, carrying a snack in my pocket, and then quitting at 2 and going home for a late lunch. Eastern slopes tend to get pretty torn up/icy by then anyway, different than Utah

My DH agrees with smilequeen that either way I go I'll probably end up either coming out a few hundred dollars ahead or behind, not all that much cash in the scheme of things, and probably not worth all the effort I'm putting into this decision!
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

double post
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Quote Originally Posted by ourbabygirl View Post
    If you have a 4th grader, you can get him/ her a ski pass at a low (or no) cost. Our program in the midwest says 'free,' but I just completed the application, and it was $35. Hope the hills will be open this winter!
    My DS is in 3rd but how do you do this?
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

I guess it's called the Passport program?
    Here's a link... https://familyskitrips.com/familyski...iing-for-kids/

On ours, you fill in name, address, etc., and upload a picture for the ski pass, and proof of their grade (4th, in our case- we uploaded a document from school), then pay w/ a credit card, and they'll print and send you your pass. At the ski hill that we usually go to, it takes the place of a season pass, but at others, it gives a couple of free ski passes or something like that. It looks like they have it for 5th graders, too, in some cases.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We are SO going to miss the "out west" ski trips we've done the last 2 years!!! It has truly been a highlight for our family. The BBB wisdom of applying for Colorado Ski.com passes for our 5th and 6th graders has been so helpful! We are close enough to some other small crowded mountains that we may go...but it would mean renting a place slopeside for a few days so we can eat/use the restroom.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I follow Epic and Icon on Facebook and I recall last March/April there were a lot of comments from people really upset about how they were handling their passes for last season. I believe they only offered credits but I didn’t have passes last year so didn’t pay that much attention other than noticing many comments from upset pass holders.

DH and DS were in Tahoe last year when everything shut down. They had to come home and never got to ski. So we really want to get DS out there this season but we are not comfortable flying right now. I am currently booking a place we can drive to and get a slope side rental so we can stop in for lunch. I’m not concerned about bathrooms with a mask but do not want to be inside without a mask. It’s not the best place for skiing or conditions but likely our only option this year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast