JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default More air purifier questions

So, I purchased an air purifier to deal with the wildfire smoke we have had. I use it in combo with some DIY fans and furnace filters as I could not get one that covers the square footage of my house (due to availability and also not sure my house would even work with a model for the whole house due to its layout..and we dont have central air so cant install one that way).

My main question is should I change the air filters now. I used the purifier for a couple of days when the smoke was really bad. I know they are supposed to last a long time, but since things were particularly awful I wonder if I should change now? The change filter light has not come on, but I am unsure if that goes by time of if it can really tell how bad the filter is. I did purchase an extra set of filters to have on hand. I have a Honeywell large room model if that makes a difference.

Also, if you have room sized models I would love to know what you advise as far as if you run them continuously, when the air is worse, at night, etc.

Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don’t know if this is right, but I thought it was interesting. I read that those filters actually become more effective at filtering as their holes become filled with past debris filtered out of the air, so don’t rush to change them. They will start to filter out smaller particles as their holes get filled and shrink. It wasn’t a formal news article or scientific study. It was some social media post that sounded somewhat credible, so I can’t find the source. I was shopping for them to reduce the viral load in our home in the event one of us brought coronavirus home, not for wild fires. I would see if you still feel similar air flow coming out. If not, then I would worry that overly dirty filters are taxing the fan motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Very interesting, thank you!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes