Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Well, I don't have a mouse but I do have squirrels. Yup. In.my.house. We trapped a baby squirrel in DD1s bedroom at 5am a day last week. We know there's another baby in our basement. Saw it this morning. We were able to trap the first one right away. We have humane traps, loaded it with PB, it walked in and the door closed behind it. DH took it a few miles away and released it. We aren't having as much luck with #2. We have 2 small mouse size traps and one squirrel trap in the basement but I think the space is so big that the squirrel doesn't smell the PB in the trap.

You can definitely hire a company to place traps and remove them. But honestly the DIY isn't hard.
    My boys would want to move in and raise the squirrels. They are both completely obsessed with squirrels and chipmunks.

We’ve dealt with mice and have had someone come out and seal up holes add set poison boxes out.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

DH saw a mouse this week. We've had them before. It was in the basement office/craft room, and I am feeling a bit panicky that it's living in my wool roving or something. I would love to deal with it humanely, but I've been pleading with DH to please just deal with it and not tell me about it.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The important thing is to deal with it now! If you have field mice, like us - the statistics are scary. At seven weeks old (or earlier!) a female will mate and be pregnant for only twenty days before having a litter. That's an exponential problem!
    We live in deep forest, and have had sixty - yes, that is not a typo - this year in our house garage. So far, not in the house, that goodness - I think the dogs are more to credit for that than anything else. Getting everything off the floor and onto metal racks has helped tremendously. But it's gross and a pain to clean up!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The important thing is to deal with it now! If you have field mice, like us - the statistics are scary. At seven weeks old (or earlier!) a female will mate and be pregnant for only twenty days before having a litter. That's an exponential problem!
    We live in deep forest, and have had sixty - yes, that is not a typo - this year in our house garage. So far, not in the house, that goodness - I think the dogs are more to credit for that than anything else. Getting everything off the floor and onto metal racks has helped tremendously. But it's gross and a pain to clean up!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    My boys would want to move in and raise the squirrels. They are both completely obsessed with squirrels and chipmunks.

We’ve dealt with mice and have had someone come out and seal up holes add set poison boxes out.
    I don’t have a problem catching mice on sticky traps.i don’t leave them dying for days on the trap. If we find them on the trap alive we kill them. Sticky traps don’t hurt anything other than the mice and kids’ socks occasionally. And we humanely trap the woodchucks that dig in our yard every year. But where we live, mice could very easily get out of control in our house and garage. And they will draw bigger predators. Any critter that gets in my house is fair game, imo.

I do have a problem with poisoning them, however. I didn’t see the problem with it until we visited a local bird hospital. Large numbers of hawks, eagles and owls in our area die a painful death due to eating poisoned mice and other rodents that eat the poison. Many of them are endangered. That’s why I choose sticky traps as my preferred way or keeping those pests out.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 09-30-2020 at 02:31 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2