Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

DD isn’t allowed to work out at the gym. Only swim if her practice has been cancelled. There’s enough chlorine in the pool and air so I feel comfortable so long as she’s distanced from others
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I would arrive in my suit with easy layers to strip off and leave wet, just like the swim team kids do. No shower there.

Baby Bargains

So I contemplated that for a hot second, but then I realized I'd have to drive home wet! I know that sounds ridiculous, but I think I have some PTS from when I was a teen. We had just taken off on a 6 hour flight and I spilled my entire orange juice right in my lap, absolutely soaking my pants, underwear and my seat in a sticky mess. On a full flight. And no change of clothes. Needless to say that was an extremely uncomfortable flight. I'm shuddering just thinking about it! (And really OT, but my packing list for any trip/full day trip always includes emergency back ups for just this situation)

So, what do swim kids do? I've never really thought about it. Do they just slip on track pants over the wet suit? Sit on a towel in the car? I'm just thinking about how this would work in the winter (brr).

eta, my gym also mandates mask usage while working out (obviously not while swimming tho)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    So I contemplated that for a hot second, but then I realized I'd have to drive home wet! I know that sounds ridiculous, but I think I have some PTS from when I was a teen. We had just taken off on a 6 hour flight and I spilled my entire orange juice right in my lap, absolutely soaking my pants, underwear and my seat in a sticky mess. On a full flight. And no change of clothes. Needless to say that was an extremely uncomfortable flight. I'm shuddering just thinking about it! (And really OT, but my packing list for any trip/full day trip always includes emergency back ups for just this situation)

So, what do swim kids do? I've never really thought about it. Do they just slip on track pants over the wet suit? Sit on a towel in the car? I'm just thinking about how this would work in the winter (brr).

eta, my gym also mandates mask usage while working out (obviously not while swimming tho)
    Do you go to the pool in the summer, just for fun? No one at our outdoor pool ever changes. We all just leave wet. Sometimes I'll sit on a towel if really wet.

Swim team kids- yep, pull on the track pants and a hoodie. They wear Crocs or other slip on shoes.

At least being wet from the pool won't be like wet from orange soda! It won't be sticky nor smell like orange soda.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

NY just allowed gyms to open. Lower density with blocked off equip, all people MUST wear masks (employees and members working out), all equip must be fully cleaned by staff after each use, etc. And even with those protocols I wouldn't be comfortable. I run outdoors on weekend and do yoga at home weekdays. There are so many free options, home equipment, body weight activities, etc that to me it is not worth the risk.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have not heard of a gym related outbreak around here and we've been open for a while.

DH and I have always been at home gym people so I don't do gyms anyway.

DS1 works out at a gym with a personal trainer. I send him 2x a week. I'm happy with the way they are set up, with the cleaning, the space, etc. The trainer wears a mask when working with him. There are just things he does to stay in shape for hockey that we can't replicate at home right now...especially the specialized treadmill for speed work and his heavy lifting (squats...we bought a rack, but the weights are still on backorder).
    Last edited by smilequeen; 09-29-2020 at 10:43 AM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

double post
    Last edited by smilequeen; 09-29-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you go to the pool in the summer, just for fun? No one at our outdoor pool ever changes. We all just leave wet. Sometimes I'll sit on a towel if really wet.

Swim team kids- yep, pull on the track pants and a hoodie. They wear Crocs or other slip on shoes.

At least being wet from the pool won't be like wet from orange soda! It won't be sticky nor smell like orange soda.
    We have a pool at home, so driving home wet is never an issue! Whether at home or on a beach vacation, I just change into a new dry bathing suit rather than sitting in a wet one all day. I think that's why I love bikinis and tankinis, I just do a quick change to a dry suit. Apparently this is a deeper personal issue than I ever realized lol

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Working out at the gym

I went for three weeks in mid June/early July when LA County had them open. It was amazing. It took a few days to get used to working out with a mask on and the gym was not crowded at all. We had to wear fingerless workout gloves the whole time as well. The gym gave out towels and had sanitizing spray near every workout station in the gym (near weights, machines, and weight machines). Everything was socially distanced. There were no outbreaks at my gym the entire time it was open. I miss it a lot and can’t wait to go back. I am not a motivated workout at home person at all. I did go to yoga a few times out doors before we moved, but we cancelled our membership in late July because of the move. Iam walking between 2-3 miles a day but it isn’t enough for me. I can feel my arms getting flabby as well, and I hate it and we don’t have free weights because I never used them at home. The local non chain gym near me just opened yesterday. I will be inquiring about membership this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-29-2020 at 12:43 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I think I’d be ok with swimming. You’ve got the chlorine there to kill everything.
    Swim teams seem to be happening with success.
    I would arrive in my suit with easy layers to strip off and leave wet, just like the swim team kids do. No shower there.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    My kids did swimming lessons indoors all through the summer and it was fine. The swim teachers wore face shields in the water. I'm not aware of any cases from it.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post

DS1 works out at a gym with a personal trainer. I send him 2x a week. I'm happy with the way they are set up, with the cleaning, the space, etc. The trainer wears a mask when working with him. There are just things he does to stay in shape for hockey that we can't replicate at home right now...especially the specialized treadmill for speed work and his heavy lifting (squats...we bought a rack, but the weights are still on backorder).
    I guess I never thought of it that way, but we do something similar. A local basketball facility reopened in July and DS resumed going to basketball skills class once a week. I haven't gone, but DH says they are taking temperatures and coaches are wearing masks. He's pleased with it. Like you say, it's kind of hard to replicate some training anywhere else. DS' AAU team practiced on an outdoor court for most of the summer, but it wasn't the same. The team decided to take a break until all gyms officially reopened and the coach could secure an indoor court. They are open now, but we haven't started practicing again.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast