Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

One of my DS had knee pain for about 18 months off and on and we finally went to a ped ortho to get it checked out. He prescribed PT which helped strengthen his quads and better stabilize his knees. DS did about 6 mo of PT and then started working out on a regular basis. He also takes vitamin D daily which helps.
    K

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD had knee pain - somewhat random, but got bad enough we went to orthopedic doctor. He did some imaging and testing and diagnosed with "likely chondromalacia". Prescribed PT which...didn't help a ton. Having said that - it's only 'irritating' to her, and we know it's nothing bad, so I'm glad we went.

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Both my kids have Osgood-Schlatter, which does sound a bit like you're describing. Both kids get quite a bit of personal training, which has helped strengthen and stretch their legs.
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Migrating knee pain is a classic sign of Lyme disease ("Lyme arthritis") and March/early spring is a prime time to contract Lyme. "Idiopathic" angioedema is also suspicious for Lyme. As such, I would absolutely consider Lyme as part of the differential diagnosis, noting that standard laboratory tests can miss 1/2 of actual cases, especially if given too early/late or there are divergent strains. Left untreated, Lyme can disseminate and impact the heart and central nervous system. Most doctors are poorly trained on Lyme and the fallacies of Lyme testing unfortunately, which led to almost a year delay in our child's diagnosis with untold suffering. We were initially told our child's test was negative, only to later learn there were clear markers for Lyme on his Western Blot. To find a knowledgeable provider, you can contact www.ilads.org and/or a non-profit Lyme organization in your state. State or local Lyme support groups on Facebook are another great source to find good providers. Feel free to message me privately as well.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you everyone for all you suggestions and inputs. It certainly helped me think in several different directions. We had an appointment with orthopedics today as well as pediatric rheumatologist. So the ortho did knee X-rays and said everything looks good and it’s not Osgood-Schlatter based on the X-rays. They suggested getting physical therapy to strengthen the bone and muscles.

The rheumatologist also did not think it looked like autoimmune.
    Of course it’s not like he ran any blood tests, I asked but he didn’t see the need for it. He mentioned Patellofemoral pain syndrome.

So basically we did not get any answers.

Melbel, thank you so much for chiming in, I did not think of Lyme at all, but what you are saying is interesting. I tried reading up on angioedema being a symptom of Lyme and looks like it can be. I’ll pm you separately, I’m not sure where to start if I were to investigate this frankly.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Thank you everyone for all you suggestions and inputs. It certainly helped me think in several different directions. We had an appointment with orthopedics today as well as pediatric rheumatologist. So the ortho did knee X-rays and said everything looks good and it’s not Osgood-Schlatter based on the X-rays. They suggested getting physical therapy to strengthen the bone and muscles.

The rheumatologist also did not think it looked like autoimmune.
    Of course it’s not like he ran any blood tests, I asked but he didn’t see the need for it. He mentioned Patellofemoral pain syndrome.

So basically we did not get any answers.

Melbel, thank you so much for chiming in, I did not think of Lyme at all, but what you are saying is interesting. I tried reading up on angioedema being a symptom of Lyme and looks like it can be. I’ll pm you separately, I’m not sure where to start if I were to investigate this frankly.

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post
    Migrating knee pain is a classic sign of Lyme disease ("Lyme arthritis") and March/early spring is a prime time to contract Lyme. "Idiopathic" angioedema is also suspicious for Lyme. As such, I would absolutely consider Lyme as part of the differential diagnosis, noting that standard laboratory tests can miss 1/2 of actual cases, especially if given too early/late or there are divergent strains. Left untreated, Lyme can disseminate and impact the heart and central nervous system. Most doctors are poorly trained on Lyme and the fallacies of Lyme testing unfortunately, which led to almost a year delay in our child's diagnosis with untold suffering. We were initially told our child's test was negative, only to later learn there were clear markers for Lyme on his Western Blot. To find a knowledgeable provider, you can contact www.ilads.org and/or a non-profit Lyme organization in your state. State or local Lyme support groups on Facebook are another great source to find good providers. Feel free to message me privately as well.
    Sending you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Another resurrected "blast from the past" thread. Myira, any resolution of last year's knee pain problem?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Another resurrected "blast from the past" thread. Myira, any resolution of last year's knee pain problem?

True, but it's likely that musicalgrl wanted info about Lyme disease and Melbel, who doesn't visit the boards as often as she used to, is known for her expertise in that area. I don't think Musicalgrl is trolling this thread.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Default DD has random knee pain for months now

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post

NCGrandma, soon after I posted this thread and had all those doctor appointments for her, my DD started her 1st period the same month (October her birth month and she turned 12). Well I’m not sure if there was any relation at all, but the knee pain mysteriously never came back after that.

Interestingly, later when I mentioned all of this to my mom, she recalled that she’d have knee pain around her periods as a young girl, which later disappeared after a few years. She said she used a pain balm that had a distinct strong scent and her family would know she was on her periods from that scent!

Last edited by Myira; 09-16-2021 at 11:28 PM.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast