Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What were they thinking??

Ok, this is my vent. Fully acknowledging I got this information third hand and some details are probably a little off.

A family member is a teacher at a $$$ private school in another state. She had to help chaperone a multi-day class trip (I was already at WTF?? at this point. No way that would happen here. Even with our state pushing for more in person school.). During trip, kid gets a fever. On bus ride home kid is throwing up. Kid gets home and tests positive. Students and teachers are NOT told to quarantine! School goes on as usual.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh my gosh. I hope that's not the full story! At the same time, I guess I'm not shocked? There are some strange attitudes about quarantine, isolation, and even letting people know about these types of incidents. Schools in our county are talking about beginning to open to hybrid learning and according to our school administration the county health administrator has to be informed of any instances of COVID and then he determines whether or not the administration is allowed to inform the school community or quarantine/isolate!!! That seems crazy to me. We're in a county right outside of LA county in CA. Our laws are fairly strict and our government relatively progressive. It doesn't make any sense to me!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Baffling!!
    I'd guess no Covid with the vomiting but you never know!
    My head scratcher was that we caught the end of local soccer league season, complete with coach handing out ribbons and a pizza party- complete with mask-less kids just grabbing slices. I don't know what the organizers were thinking.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Lots of people, especially kids I think, present with just GI symptoms. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. I read that 1/4 of people with mild Covid experience GI symptoms only.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

In an update, it appears that after a day when they were all back in school they did end up quarantining at least some of the kids, but my family member is still teaching at the school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Baffling!!
    My head scratcher was that we caught the end of local soccer league season, complete with coach handing out ribbons and a pizza party- complete with mask-less kids just grabbing slices. I don't know what the organizers were thinking.
    Vomiting is one of the symptoms that require kids to be 24 hour symptom free and then either 10 days from symptom onset, a doctor note with a different diagnosis, or a negative COVID test before they can return to school in my district. It is fairly common.

I'm super surprised at the lack of quarantine for that trip (also surprised there was a trip!). DS2's school has had 3 cases this week. When kids started staying home with symptoms, other kids were quarantined. When the 3rd kid went out, the school decided it was easier to move to remote teaching for 3 days while waiting for test results and completing all the contact tracing, than to miss kids who should have been quarantined. So, he was home Wed-Fri and will go back next week. They aren't waiting on any more potential cases as of now, so the quarantined kids all know who they are and are out for 14 days.
    Kris

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    In an update, it appears that after a day when they were all back in school they did end up quarantining at least some of the kids, but my family member is still teaching at the school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I hope your family member stays safe! That's...crazy. You're not wrong to be baffled by this!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I hope your family member stays safe! That's...crazy. You're not wrong to be baffled by this!
    I hope so too! Family member has to go on another school trip (not sure how long, but out of state with overnights) sometime later this fall. Crossing fingers for them.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    I hope so too! Family member has to go on another school trip (not sure how long, but out of state with overnights) sometime later this fall. Crossing fingers for them.
    That sounds nuts! Are family member's school and/or the out-of-state trip destinations located in places with extremely low rates of Covid? The private school my DGDs go to normally has a number of trips, but I haven’t heard any plan at all to resume these, even though their state is doing pretty well (test positivity has been between 1% and 2% for quite a while, compared to NC's recent 6% ).

How can the benefits of out of state trips outweigh the risks?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is crazy! We are still virtual, but even when we go back, absolutely no field trips are allowed.

The fact that so many schools (especially private schools) are so wishy washy on quarantining, is really concerning to me. I hope your family member stays safe!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast