Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    If they need to be kid-friendly, maybe Edward Scissorhands? I also love the Nightmare Before Christmas (already mentioned) though the death of the boogie man REALLY bothered my very sensitive kids (not the death itself, just the manner of death and what was inside the boogie man).
    Edward Scissorhands does have a couple of "on-the-bubble" moments, though, w/r/t implied sexual content. For most kids, it'll fly over their heads, but I would pre-watch if you have kids for whom that would be an issue. (It's one of my favorite movies, so I've seen it "eleventy-billion" times.)

I agree that Mr Oogie-Boogie's demise in Nightmare Before Christmas can be a little much for anybody, not just your sensitive kids!

Coraline is legit creepy, even for adults!...
    Laika did SUCH a great job with the story!

You should read the book; it's roughly middle-grade/young YA level, and Neil Gaiman wrote it as a sort of apology to his daughter, Holly, who, after declaring herself a fan of spooky novels thanks to the Goosebumps series, was pointed to Stephen King (interesting coincidence that you mentioned It!) for further reading and has not enjoyed scary novels since.

I have a copy for when DD is ready for it.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    We're huge fans of Nightmare Before Christmas here. I'm surprised we've never watch the Corpse Bride? I gotta see if I can find that one.

I can't get anyone to watch Coraline with me. We actually have it, but have never watched it. I used to love Watcher in the Woods but DH says it is too scary (dude, I have a 17yo, lol!)

So it is classic thrillers that will be our go to. I'm excited to try some of those!
    Glad to see I'm not the only adult who is still freaked out by WitW. Our elementary school would show it every year around Halloween in the big auditorium. With live bats flying over head because they lived in there. Yeah. That movie scares me. But my nieces & nephews would watch it on repeat when they were little, so....
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Edward Scissorhands does have a couple of "on-the-bubble" moments, though, w/r/t implied sexual content. For most kids, it'll fly over their heads, but I would pre-watch if you have kids for whom that would be an issue. (It's one of my favorite movies, so I've seen it "eleventy-billion" times.)

I agree that Mr Oogie-Boogie's demise in Nightmare Before Christmas can be a little much for anybody, not just your sensitive kids!

Laika did SUCH a great job with the story!

You should read the book; it's roughly middle-grade/young YA level, and Neil Gaiman wrote it as a sort of apology to his daughter, Holly, who, after declaring herself a fan of spooky novels thanks to the Goosebumps series, was pointed to Stephen King (interesting coincidence that you mentioned It!) for further reading and has not enjoyed scary novels since.

I have a copy for when DD is ready for it.
    I totally agree re: Edward Scissorhands. Either pre-screen, or watch with tweens if you are open to explaining implied sexual content (it's really only those couple of times). And I also totally agree about Coraline...the movie was BEAUTIFULLY done and captured the essence of the book (I've read it but waiting until I think DDs are ready before handing it to them!).

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Duplicate post demon.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I really liked the Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. Also, the first season of Evil I watched me I liked, that is now on Netflix.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I totally agree re: Edward Scissorhands. Either pre-screen, or watch with tweens if you are open to explaining implied sexual content (it's really only those couple of times).
    The fact that it's done with that Tim Burton sensibility, which is what drew me to the movie in the first place - the social commentary on the conformity of postwar suburbia; the power of mobs; and the double-sided sword of being Totally Yourself (plus the Vincent Price bit part; I love Vincent Price) ...

And I also totally agree about Coraline...the movie was BEAUTIFULLY done and captured the essence of the book (I've read it but waiting until I think DDs are ready before handing it to them!).
    Honestly, Studio Laika does phenomenal work. As long as we're on the subject of spooky movies, they're also the team behind ParaNorman (which I loved) and Kubo and the Two Strings (such beautiful visuals in this one!) among others.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3