Default Looking for tools to organize a group of parents

I am looking for ideas on tools to use to organize a group of parents. I have an email list that is growing daily via word of mouth. We want to expand the reach however I do not want to continue to use my personal email address as I promote our group in open forums. I have set up a gmail address and was also considering creating a google group. Most of the people on the mailing list want easy steps and explanations on how they should advocate for our kids. They want the once a week communication and not all the nitty gritty. I would like a set up where ideas, info can be shared if someone goes into the group almost like a database for resources. I do not want everyone to be able to email everyone else as there have been smaller subsets of the group where people email like crazy and I think that if the avg parent got all those emails they would say take me off the list. It seems like I could control that in google groups and maybe also set up subgroups for those more active parents and those focused on particular aspects of our cause. Would love to hear people experiences and or any other tools they would recommend. I am also considering setting up a website for the group, I would love recommendations on tools for that as well. I currently manage a school PTO website using word press so I have some basic skills. Low cost or free would be great. I do not want to use Facebook. I joined to find our more about similar efforts in our area but it seems to bring out more outspoken commenters and our group has been approaching this issue in a very uncontroversial way.

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Your Google group idea sounds good. You can set up a Drive for the group where files can be shared. Mail Chimp would be good for regular e-blasts. Not sure if any of those will work but just spitballing some ideas.

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What about the app called "Band" https://about.band.us/resources
    I am seeing this in PTA circles more and more but I have not personally used it.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jerigirl View Post
    What about the app called "Band" https://about.band.us/resources
    I am seeing this in PTA circles more and more but I have not personally used it.
    Band is a great option; DD's camp used it each week to share photos, information, and the closing campfire because they were restricting the number of people allowed on camp property to help reduce the risk to campers and staff.

I use TeamApp for my Girl Scout troops and I've linked it to a general troop Gmail account so I have Google Drive, Photos, and Meet/Hangouts (etc.)

If I need volunteers, I have Signup Genius.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

double-post; sorry
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle