bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Figuring out how a particular executive order is funded?

DS2 is doing a project at school that he's passionate about. He wants to find out how Manzanar was financed. You'd think I'd be more useful in scrounging up information for him but we're hitting a road block. We think it was financed by the "war department" since that was the department that led the operation. Is there a good source to go to to figure out government funding? Is it pretty difficult to determine or are we just not looking hard enough? I'm interested in the specifics on this project but also on how to lead him better. I love that he really, really wants to keep digging on this. Its an important topic that he cares about and an interesting line of inquiry!

TIA!

erv917 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Maybe reach out to a Park Ranger there? They're often really well versed in the history of a place, in my experience!

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree about asking a Park Ranger. Perhaps an email correspondence with someone at the park would be the best way during COVID.

There are also many books on Amazon on the topic. Including Ansel Adams photography.

And Google Scholar is a great source of papers and information. I put "Manzanar Funding" into the search bar and many options came up. I am not exactly sure what your question is, but that tool could be helpful in learning more. Some papers are behind a paywall, but at least the abstracts can be read.

Quote Originally Posted by erv917 View Post
    Maybe reach out to a Park Ranger there? They're often really well versed in the history of a place, in my experience!
    Have you done a deep dive through the nps.gov site for this park? If you go into the resources for teachers or other resources sections, you often find amazing info. You just have to plunk through the website past the "planning your visit" pages.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

This may be a helpful resource for your son:
    https://calisphere.org/collections/26203/

Maybe have him do a search on Public Law 503 and see where it takes him... the funding has to be authorized by Congress, so there has to be some info he can dig up.

crn is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Since he is interested in digging deeper on this topic, he might want to look up your closest federal depository library and see if there is a government documents librarian there that might be able to help point him in the right direction. Here’s a link with a map where you can look up FDLPs.

https://www.fdlp.gov/about-the-fdlp/...tory-libraries