Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default What non-messy food item do your dogs go ABSOLUTELY NUTS for?

It can be anything that's safe for dogs to eat. I'm talking good stuff. Human food included. Sugary cereals allowed. Children's snacks allowed. What makes your dogs absolutely crazy? The only requirement is that it is relatively non-messy (no need to wash hands after touching, so nothing like cheese, cooked chicken, etc).

Our 7-year-old rescue has been with us 3 months and it's clear he has some serious social issues with men. He is STILL afraid of DH and it's gotten to where he runs and shakes and sometimes even barks when he even hears DH coming. I do not want it to get any worse than it already is (it's bad) so we are embarking on a serious counter-conditioning plan. If it doesn't improve within a month or so, then I am going to have to call in a professional. DH needs to carry this extra special non messy extremely high value bag of treats with him everywhere, and toss the dog one whenever he is nearby.

It has to be REALLY high value because on top of our dog's social issues, he is not a food motivated dog. Sigh. Right now DH has pieces of human beef jerky from Costco but it's a little messy on the hands. And I mean beef jerky for humans, not human jerky.

Poor dog. And poor DH, who is taking it pretty personally that the dog doesn't like him, and it's stressing me and the kids out as well because DH takes it personally (which I believe contributes to a vicious cycle of "OK, if you don't like me then I don't like you" which makes the dog fear him even more because I'm certain the dog can sense the dislike. He is an EXTREMELY SENSITIVE dog).
    Last edited by twowhat?; 10-16-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Bits of cooked hot dogs? (I know, a little messy) Our trainer always categorized high-reward treats as soft and smelly.

Also, my dog really likes freeze-dried liver treats. I don't think these are too messy. https://www.chewy.com/purebites-beef...d-raw/dp/35001
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with Pinkmomagain, our experience is that the highest value treats are soft and smelly.

One option could be a squeezy container with peanut butter or something similar if the dog is willing to get close enough for a lick. Here's the one we use: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...og-essentials/

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My non food motivated dog likes the freeze dried liver as PP mentioned. It’s dry and crumbly but not as messy as jerky I think.

Sorry for your DH, sounds tough.

I would second hotdogs. Used those for puppy training when one of my dogs was younger and she went crazy for them. Both dogs like pumpkin. One in particular loves Boo Bars put out seasonally by Blue Buffalo around Halloween. They also like pup cakes with pumpkin. There are many recipes out there but here is one in particular that they like. They are mini so I give our dogs them whole or split in half (not too messy).

Peanut Butter And Pumpkin Dog Cupcakes (Pupcakes!)
    Peanut Butter And Pumpkin Dog Cupcakes (Pupcakes!)
    Ingredients
    Cake
    1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
    1/2 Tsp. baking soda
    1/2 Cup Pumpkin
    1/3 Cup Peanut Butter
    1 Egg
    1/4 Cup oil
    1/2 Cup Water

Servings: Mini Cupcakes
    Units:
    Rating
    Servings 24Mini Cupcakes
    Cook Time 15Minutes
    Instructions
    Making the Cupcakes
    Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
    In a small mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour and baking soda.
    In a separate mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin, peanut butter, egg, oil and water.
    Gradually stir the wheat flour and baking soda into the rest of the ingredients.
    Fill the muffin cups and bake for 15 minutes.
    Remove from oven and let cool completely.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

cheese cubes
    hot dogs
    deli meat (my dogs love ham, it has a good smell)
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Mine go crazy for cheese. It’s the only way I can get them to take meds. String cheese was great for training too.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Twowhat, do we own the same dog??!! Our situation is very similar except now the dog barks or growls when DH enters the room or she hears him come up the stairs from the basement (and since he recently moved his office to the basement for working from home, the barking is increasing). She is super cuddly and lovable with the girls and I but she hides under the table or in a corner and barks at him. He has been trying to take her outside more often and also helps with feeding her dinner, but the behavior has gotten worse over time. She likes the Wellness Soft Bites treats (they are large so we cut them up into smaller pieces and keep in a sandwich baggy). He keeps forgetting to keep the baggie in his pocket for when he comes upstairs though and then it is a delayed treat instead of instant. Maybe I will try some of those liver bites.

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Kraft mini marshmallows. Spray cheese. Dried cross sections of trachea.

For messy: cheap, gross canned cat food, the stinkier the better.

Our girl still does not like DH, either. We are in the same boat as PP’s. Dog trainer friend recommended he hand feed her *all* meals, which is what I also read in a dog training book. So far DH hasn’t committed to that investment of time, which is setting a bad pattern.

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    Kraft mini marshmallows. Spray cheese. Dried cross sections of trachea. .
    Dried cross sections of trachea??! I knew there was a reason I don’t have a dog!!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast