Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default If you risked your safety to save someone, what would you appreciate receiving?

I posted a couple weeks ago that I broke my ankle in three places going down a treacherous hiking path that I wasn’t ready for. Three fantastic people risked their own health and safety carrying me down. One was a doctor who had army training (God bless her) and the other 2 were Eagle Scouts who assisted the doctor to splint my leg and then carried me down. They were so selfless, so confident and kind. And honestly, so many people that we passed were so kind. They offered to carry something, offered their unopened bottles of water that day, and so many quiet people offered to pray with me. They just quietly and even shyly asked if they could pray with me or for me. Why isn’t the media focusing on how amazing our countrymen are? Their consideration!!? Their heroic selflessness!! Instead all I read about is what a dumpster-fire this year has been. Ugh, don’t get me started on my disgust with the media!

Now that I’m not in constant pain, I’d like to send a big fruit or cookie bouquet to these people or something even better. I’m also sending the Eagle Scouts a card with some money and nominating them for an award (unfortunately medical professionals are not eligible for the award) I managed to get their emails and reconnect with them.

I’ve written out a thank you card for the doctor. She’s a mom in our troop. If you risked your safety and saved someone’s life, what would you appreciate receiving in thanks? Is giving them my first born over the top? I’m just really grateful and want to be generous.

Eta- I haven’t ordered a cookie or fruit bouquet in a long time. I’d hate to send them something stale. Can anyone here recommend online companies?
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 10-13-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think if it were me knowing that the person was truly so appreciative, as you just described, would be the ultimate reward. Maybe some kind of public acknowledgment? I know you nominated for an award but airing the story is very inspiring too to listen to.

I'm glad you are doing better and I'm happy that you were shown such a kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I think if it were me knowing that the person was truly so appreciative, as you just described, would be the ultimate reward. Maybe some kind of public acknowledgment? I know you nominated for an award but airing the story is very inspiring too to listen to.

I'm glad you are doing better and I'm happy that you were shown such a kindness.
    I am getting better, thank you for thinking of me. Before the accident I spent my days running around doing things for my kids and family. Now I’m almost completely dependent on them. I can’t put any weight on my foot for another month. But I’m lucky that I didn’t tear any ligaments or that would have added another month of non-weight baring days. Our church and school have organized meals for us for 2 months and they have helped with everything. I’m so grateful for all the help I’m getting. Honestly, the pain was worse for the surgery and recuperation than my c-section following my twins’ delivery. I won’t be hiking for quite awhile. I never wanna go through this again.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Agree that a heartfelt note would be very welcomed - but think a 'token' would be nice too. A beautiful bouquet for the mom? Gift cards to Amazon or similar for the Eagle Scouts to buy games or "stuff" they'd like?

Glad to hear that you're healing!

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would do the note you have for the mom and a nice flower arrangement. For the kids, I think the nomination and thank you card with money is great.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I would do the note you have for the mom and a nice flower arrangement. For the kids, I think the nomination and thank you card with money is great.
    Agreed, this sounds perfect. The note and some flowers (or substitute cookies or fruit or similar if you prefer) for the mom, and thank you card with money for the others who I am assuming are teens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

https://www.scouting.org/awards/awar...orious-action/

I'm glad you are healing and starting to feel better.

Perhaps you could nominate the BSA volunteer and the scouts for the BSA Lifesaving and Meritorious Action award.

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    https://www.scouting.org/awards/awar...orious-action/

I'm glad you are healing and starting to feel better.

Perhaps you could nominate the BSA volunteer and the scouts for the BSA Lifesaving and Meritorious Action award.
    Yes, I’m trying to do this but the 2 Eagle Scouts are being all modest and saying they didn’t do that much, it was the other guys who did all the work, etc. I’ve looked at the paperwork required for the medal and each of those Eagle Scouts needs to write their description of what happened as part of the qualifying paperwork. They are sort of resisting.

One of them gave me their address so I sent him a thank you card with money and I’m waiting to hear back if he or his family (he’s a young stay-at-home dad) have food allergies. I plan to send him and the other Eagle Scout (who’s a young adult leader), the same gift boxes I sent our troop mom (the doctor who helped me). If they don’t write a report I don’t think I’ll be able to get them nominated for the medal. If I can’t get them nominated, at least I will have sent them all money and a treat.

I looked at everyone’s suggestions here (thank you!) and sent these to the doctor. Once I hear back about food allergies, I will send these to the Eagle Scouts too - Zingerman’s Tapas Gift box and Deluxe Good we Grandma’s Gift box. They look delicious.

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Edible arrangements are great at our place. And we always love getting them. Not super expensive but make my day

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Yes, I’m trying to do this but the 2 Eagle Scouts are being all modest and saying they didn’t do that much, it was the other guys who did all the work, etc. I’ve looked at the paperwork required for the medal and each of those Eagle Scouts needs to write their description of what happened as part of the qualifying paperwork. They are sort of resisting.

One of them gave me their address so I sent him a thank you card with money and I’m waiting to hear back if he or his family (he’s a young stay-at-home dad) have food allergies. I plan to send him and the other Eagle Scout (who’s a young adult leader), the same gift boxes I sent our troop mom (the doctor who helped me). If they don’t write a report I don’t think I’ll be able to get them nominated for the medal. If I can’t get them nominated, at least I will have sent them all money and a treat.
    Reach out to your council and ask if you can submit it without their statement. I have a feeling this is probably not the first time they have dealt with this situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast