Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default S/O - why Baby Bargains?

I was a bit surprised to see that everyone on the "what's your field" thread had college, and often advanced degrees. I'm here because I've pretty much always been money-crunched; for many years only avoiding true poverty through a mix of multiple jobs and varying "roommate" situations. But I'm surprised that people with such advanced education are here in a group about bargain hunting.
    What brought you here?

For me, I found out I was pregnant (after years of trying), went to the local Babies 'R Us store, and fell in love with a crib - until I looked at the price and it was more than my car. I knew there had to be a cheaper way, got the book, and here we are.

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I started that thread, and it's SO interesting! Well, I'm here because I was a teacher (with a master's degree) and my salary wouldn't cover childcare and essentials very well, so I became a SAHM and found ourselves with 3 babies in 36 mos. We were newlyweds on top of that...and I was experiencing decision fatigue. Had just spent so much effort planning the wedding, figuring out the registry, then having the baby...it was just SO much STUFF to sort through. I was thankful to have found the book Baby Bargains and especially thankful for my aunt who send Baby 411 to us. That "first two weeks" chapter was awesome. We had read all about how to deal with pregnancy but not how to deal with the actual baby.

ETA: I think we owned 9 different strollers over the course of it all. We definitely got a good stroller education here!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We were just out of college so money wasn’t tight but we had to be smart. I also hate overpaying for things. Mostly, the book was a super efficient guide to help my research though! I’m still a fan of guide books to aid my research on things.

Eta- I forgot to say that I was already a fan of their books because I used Bridal Bargains just a few years before!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 10-19-2020 at 09:26 AM.

I think it’s because most of us like to do a lot of research before purchasing anything. And back when DD was born (14.5 years ago), we didn’t have any money. DH was finishing up residency and we both had a lot of student loans.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I think it’s because most of us like to do a lot of research before purchasing anything.
    This describes why I found the Baby Bargains. DS was born when I was newly to living in the USA. The BBB filled the “need a village” for me when I was pregnant. I stay because of the community. I can put up something I’m considering and get thoughtful responses. It’s more parenting than just bargains for me. I have a great group of mom friends,but here I can post at midnight and get a range of suggestions within a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 10-18-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lol I think of it more as a research thing than saving money. I probably spent more because of the cool stuff I’ve heard about here, but I got the best deal on it! LOL
    I’m also a bargain hunter at heart. And now it’s become an amazing gathering of intelligent women (as far as I know, There aren’t too many active men anymore).
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I think it’s because most of us like to do a lot of research before purchasing.
    this is me too!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I came looking for a jogging stroller for DS1 13 years ago. The community has kept me here. So many kind and amazing women here willing to do what they can to help nearly complete strangers. I feel like I know so many people here even though I’ve never met anyone in real life. The bargains are fun but the friendships are the glue.

I stumbled upon this site 10 years ago when I was looking for a good umbrella stroller for DS. At the time, I was working for a baby/kids trade magazine. I attended U.S. trade shows and spent time in the booths of all of the big gear manufacturers at the time — bugaboo, Maclaren, Baby Jogger, Chicco, etc. if anything, I had information overload, so I was looking to see what real people used, and if it was something that DH and I could afford on our meager salaries.

Thanks to BBB, we bought the Maclaren Triumph, which I loved! After that, I lurked a couple of years before officially joining. So happy to be here.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I had the Bridal Bargains book when we got married in 2002. I liked that so bought the baby version 2 years later. The site is mentioned, so here I am. I liked saving money and researching what I really needed, rather than just what everyone else bought.
    Kris

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast