Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Melaine is a IRL friend. Our girls are very close in age and we were talking over Facebook about strollers, car seats, etc. She told me about the board and community so I checked it out. I was living in a pretty isolated area at the time so the community/ board became my sounding board.

I have stayed around because the parents on here often have great suggestions and resources. I have to confess though that I often miss some of the old threads that could get so involved and wildly off the topic of kids.

Second confession - I have never even seen the book.

I started with Wedding Bargains!!! The goal is not to have "cheap"--it's to buy the best item for your needs/budget. We bought a crib for $300. It was a good, solid crib. They had cribs for $700 but that's not what I needed. Car seat--I was willing to pay top dollar but if I am going to pay that much, it needs to be worth that much vs. being marked up due to looks/style, etc. I bought used clothes on ebay but I bought a brand new Bob stroller and it was awesome. So basically, I wanted to get my money's worth.

And then I found the forum and I loved being able to ask questions and get responses from moms who were a few steps ahead of me in the process (e.g. I needed someone with a one year old to tell me if X was worth it) Or their experiences with products. And then the whole asking for advice--I could go on and on about the amazing advice I have found here. When my son pulled out a huge patch of hair on his head, I got on here and 3 moms immediately told me what it was and gave me book recommendations to handle it. Bam! Done! I owe so much to this board!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I loved researching baby things and wanted the best value I could afford.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I think it’s because most of us like to do a lot of research before purchasing anything. And back when DD was born (14.5 years ago), we didn’t have any money. DH was finishing up residency and we both had a lot of student loans.
    I definitely think that being hardcore researchers is what we all have in common. DH is the same way as well, we don't do or buy anything without researching first.

When DS1 was born we were both full time college students and I only wanted to spend money on what was really needed. I moved into a 1 bedroom apartment 7 days postpartum and I had an air mattress for a bed and 2 Costco Huggies boxes for nightstands. I definitely didn't have money to be spending on unnecessary stuff but also wanted gear that was good quality and durable. I got the book to help research and bought the recommended Fisher Price Stay-In-View infant carseat when I was newly pregnant. I also ended up with the super lightweight folding Combi stroller with carry strap that was great for travel. I think I actually joined the boards in 2001 before I was even pregnant because I was a doula for 2 of my mom's friends at the time and was doing research to help them with their registries.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I was given the BBB book as one of my baby shower gifts, so i loved that book as it really helped me to be strict with my registry as i hated having clutter or unneccesary stuff in my house. I didn't join the forums until DS1 was close to 1 year old, if i recall.

i stayed on as the ideas, recommedations and suggestions were often solid. Didn't hurt that i enjoyed the small community feel from here too! and now DS1 will be 10 in 7 months....how did that happen!?
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

I was given the BBB book as one of my baby shower gifts, so i loved that book as it really helped me to be strict with my registry as i hated having clutter or unneccesary stuff in my house. I didn't join the forums until DS1 was close to 1 year old, if i recall.

i stayed on as the ideas, recommedations and suggestions were often solid. Didn't hurt that i enjoyed the small community feel from here too! and now DS1 will be 10 in 7 months....how did that happen!?
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think it’s because most of us like to do a lot of research before purchasing anything.
    This is me I started coming here before my DD was born (who is now 18 and a freshman in college) doing research on strollers. I've met some IRL friends and mostly just lurk these days, but it's still a place I like to go.
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

Mamma2004 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It took me years to have DS (miscarriages, infertility, etc.), and once I finally "stayed" pregnant, a friend who had struggled similarly gave me the book.

I came to the boards as part of my research. (LOTS of research, always) I have a teenager but still value the wisdom of the many wonderful members here who support each other unlike almost anywhere.
    Stephanie

Mamma to James

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think it’s because most of us like to do a lot of research before purchasing anything.
    My SIL bought me the book when I was pregnant with my first child. She had just had her first child and found the book very helpful. I used the book for months before I found the online forum. I was researching strollers and was so surprised with how busy the forums were and how helpful. I went months again before I found my way to the Lounge.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Add me to this list.

And also, I started with the bridal bargains book too. So, it was natural to pick up the baby bargains book when we were expecting DD. I can't remember what led me to the boards, but once I realized how helpful it was- not just for shopping, but any baby/kid related questions, I kept coming back!
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast