Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I think it’s because most of us like to do a lot of research before purchasing anything.
    Yup, same here!
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default S/O - why Baby Bargains?

I like a good deal, and I like message boards. I saw the Bridal Bargains book in a book store and skimmed through it at the book store. I didn’t buy it or join the message board though (in 2002). I love reviews, learning, and So fast forward 3-4 years later and I am pregnant with Dd1 and I am looking for reviews of baby products, and how much a Bugaboo stroller was (I had been binge watching Sex in the City and the darn stroller was popping up all over SoCal at the time) and somehow I found the title of the book (recognized the Bargains from the Bridal Bargains) and checked out an older edition at the library. My mom then happened to get me the current edition then. I never got the Bugaboo stroller because there was no way in he!! I was paying $650 for a stroller (plus they gave it an F for value), but I joined the boards here the evening after I went to BRUS, Pottery Barn Kids, and Target and did my registries. I am pretty sure I bought something for every baby need based on the A rating the item was given in the book. I didn’t post much for those first 3 years, but really picked up posting when I was pregnant with baby 2 in 2009. FWIW after I realized just how much I hated the used Peg Perego Pliko stroller I had been given from a friend (the squeaky wheels drove me nuts) I ended up with Maclaren Triumph stroller as soon as DD1 was 3 months old, which I did love and ended up using for both girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 10-19-2020 at 01:45 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Have always been frugal and a researcher. That led us to bridal bargains when wedding planning a zillion years ago (seriously, funeral homes to get a limo deal? brilliant, saved us oodles and way better availability where we were looking).

Once we started family planning after that, consumer reports recommended baby bargains over their own research teams. When we're spending money on stuff, we want it to be the right stuff. The thoughtful approach to where is the right place to spend and where to save versus all that cute and possible unsafe baby stuff really made the selection process of everything much more practical and palatable versus overwhelming. That brought me here, and the thoughtful parenting and life advice has kept this place a wonderful advice and sanity source. Thanks Alan, Denise, and the BBB for creating such a caring community for us! You all have made me a better parent, spouse, and fellow human being.

I saw the book recommended somewhere and it led me here. I loved that the book offered suggestions at various price points for each category, so it was easy for me to pick the things I wanted to get really cheaply and the things I wanted to make small splurges on. I think of it more as research and getting the best value than about getting the cheapest thing available.

My oldest is 6.5 and while we were doing ok when he was born, our financial picture is also definitely different now than it was then thanks to a combination of a promotion (to a position that didn’t exist when he was born), overtime work, and the generosity of our families.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I got married in 1999 while I was still in college. So, I checked out the Bridal Bargains book from the library. From there, I ended up on those message boards, and then when friends started having babies, I started hanging out on these forums to try to figure out what would actually be helpful. When I was pregnant, the Baby Bargains book was one of my first pregnancy purchases because I had already seen how much thought went into what was recommended, along with staying here on the forums.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Bought the book when we were creating our registry for DD1's baby shower. I think I must've gone to the BBB website to look a few things up and discovered the boards. DH and I are big time researchers before major purchases, almost always consulting consumer reports. I felt like the BBB book was the kid version of consumer reports. Then I stayed for the community and I have really enjoyed engaging in dialogue on all sorts of things with intelligent women (and dads...I miss the dads that used to be here) from across the US. It's always great perspective to hear from people from different regions, different careers, different life perspectives.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I was a bit surprised to see that everyone on the "what's your field" thread had college, and often advanced degrees. ... But I'm surprised that people with such advanced education are here in a group about bargain hunting.
    What brought you here?

Something I think we can all agree on when it comes to college and/or advanced degrees is that they're not necessarily a guarantee of a high income anymore. And, depending on your financial aid package, you could exit school carrying a great deal of student loan debt, which impacts your overall budget and ability to spend on certain things, no matter how necessary.

I'm not saying that this is the same as growing up poor - I grew up poor - but it's a factor in your self-perception of your income and lifestyle.

As for why Baby Bargains? In addition to the book being highly-recommended by a friend, I wanted a source for unbiased reviews and unemotional ratings of baby gear, so I could figure out what suited our lifestyle without giving my husband too much sticker shock when I was creating the baby registry. (He still whined A LOT about things I put on.)

I came to the boards because I wanted real-world, real-time input on choices I was making ... and found so many wonderful, supportive, and gracious parents here, especially when DD's heart defect was diagnosed and I was having a major meltdown, that I stayed. I really love you all.
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 10-19-2020 at 09:05 AM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I bought the book originally because even though we were dual-income and doing fine at the time, we were floored by how crazy expensive baby things can be -- and how many choices there were to be made. We've always been frugal and very judicious with how we choose to spend, so we didn't want to waste money on unnecessarily high-priced baby items.

That being said, after my very first post (which was somewhat shopping/bargain related) I was immediately floored by how responsive and supportive this community was, and I was hooked -- I honestly don't think I've ever used it for "bargain" purposes again -- just the "yall have played a huge and wonderful role in shaping me into the mom that I am and I'm a massively better mom and human because of all of you so I'm never leaving here" sort of purposes.
    Lizi

I have a very similar story as many of you about being a researcher at heart and not wanting to spend a lot of money on baby gear. Plus, I read and used Bridal Bargains when I got married, so Baby Bargains was a natural extension of that.

I'm kind of laughing at the title of this board, Baby BARGAINS. After being on here for soooo many years, I probably ended up spending way more money than I would have had I not found this place! LOL! There was even an active offshoot board for a while that focused on group buying, where I spent lots of money, too. I still adore this board for its support and camaraderie. It's been my Internet "home" before my kids were even born. Such a fantastic community!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

A friend recommended the book and I was researching everything like crazy so I found the book helpful although I didn’t need bargains. I do however dislike overpaying for anything and appreciated knowing what was necessary and what could be skipped. Many years ago I spent a holiday on a small private island with one shop that had an annual sale during the holiday. The people there were the Uber- wealthy (we were guests... not our bracket at all). After seeing the way everyone crowded this shop and were rummaging through the bins I realized that it doesn’t matter how much money you have- everyone loves a bargain!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast