Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I first bought the book before DGD1 was born as a gift for DC/DIL to help them narrow down their shopping plans. (They’re both big researchers too, but were starting demanding careers and didn’t have much time.) After DGD1 was born, I carved out particular "specialties" as my domains for which I researched and bought stuff. For years I was the "car seat grandma" and "child safety products grandma" (do you see a theme?). At some point I discovered the BBB where I learned more than I ever expected about safety gates, practical pros and cons of specific car seats and sooo much more.

I lurked for several years before actually registering shortly before DGD2 was born 7 years after her big sister — so much had changed and I had plenty of questions. In addition to my traditional roles re: car seats and baby gates, I was able to surprise my family by finding well-made products in categories they didn’t even know they needed! They were willing to put up with my bragging about great deals!

I’ve stayed on because the discussions have given me valuable insights into many issues and different ways of dealing with them, as well as the occasional "deal". Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I stumbled upon this site 10 years ago when I was looking for a good umbrella stroller for DS. At the time, I was working for a baby/kids trade magazine. I attended U.S. trade shows and spent time in the booths of all of the big gear manufacturers at the time — bugaboo, Maclaren, Baby Jogger, Chicco, etc. if anything, I had information overload, so I was looking to see what real people used, and if it was something that DH and I could afford on our meager salaries.

Thanks to BBB, we bought the Maclaren Triumph, which I loved! After that, I lurked a couple of years before officially joining. So happy to be here.
    Ditto on the strollers - I specifically went looking for the corner of the internet where the stroller obsessives hung out because I knew that for every interest there is a place where people congregated. That was the only board I was on for years - I didn't move to the lounge for quite a few years.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default S/O - why Baby Bargains?

I learned about the book when I mentioned at work that I was pregnant and a colleague who was expecting mentioned the book. I did not join the boards until after DD was born though! And what can I say? This board has given me so much help and insight in this parenting journey. Nothing in real life can come close to the collective wisdom here!
    From getting a clue to DD’s mystery symptoms to umpteen parenting conundrums as a new mom and I’m sure yet to encounter dilemmas of dealing with a teenager, the perspectives and experiences of the moms here is invaluable to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Researching seems to be the common thread here! I ended up here when I was looking to buy a crib, carseat, and stroller and wanted to combine safety with affordability. Actually did not find the lounge part for quite a while initially and would just post on the indicated sub-forum, but then I found the lounge and never left. I so appreciate the kindness and helpfulness of this community!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    A friend recommended the book and I was researching everything like crazy so I found the book helpful although I didn’t need bargains. I do however dislike overpaying for anything and appreciated knowing what was necessary and what could be skipped.
    Also: this is one of the biggest reasons I continue to recommend the book to everyone I know who gets pregnant, including my nieces. I warn them that they may not learn what's the cheapest one to buy but they'll learn what's worth the money.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Can I add... I love, love, love "Bitching Post". A great place to vent, sometimes get a little laugh... (I reference my own dog vs dishwasher post) And sometimes, just to see someone had it worse that you do that day!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH bought me the book, which was a fascinating look at higher end brands than I had ever been exposed to before. I started in the stroller forums (I kind of wish I could still have reason to look at and buy strollers!) but quickly made my way to the lounge. I definitely stayed for the general parenting advice though the bargains are of course super solid!

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My coworkers laugh when they see me on this board, they know I'm past the baby stage, it's hard to explain that it's not what it appears to be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I found BBB when I was researching strollers for DS1 many years ago. I wasn't looking for the cheapest, but the best stroller for our needs. Of course reading that forum led to multiple stroller purchases over the years but I never regretted any and usually had the best features for my needs. Now I stay for the community since many of us have grown up as parents together. I trust the advice and enjoy the people.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    My coworkers laugh when they see me on this board, they know I'm past the baby stage, it's hard to explain that it's not what it appears to be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    My dh says the same thing! He thinks it is funny that I am still here. He asked where I got the Force of Nature recommendation and I told him here. So far he likes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast