Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Durable Large Skillet Ninja Foodi? Cast Iron?

We still have the same saucepans and stockpots since when we were first married. We have, however, replaced our skillets multiple times in the past 19 years! I think I buy one workhorse 12" skillet about every 3 years or so. What can we buy that will replace this?

We have used cast iron in the past. I'd be open to using it again, however, I think that some of the dishes I cook might not be good in cast iron? I'm thinking of recipes that use lime juice or tomato sauces that are highly acidic and I think those are not good to use in cast iron? I still have my lodge skillet though it is rusted. I don't think I was ever properly seasoned and cleaning it was always something challenging for me. But maybe I'm up to the challenge now?

I saw those Ninja Foodi pans at Target that are advertised for handling extremely high temperatures. Anyone have any experience with them? They're about twice the cost we usually pay for a 12" skillet BUT if I don't replace this one in 3 years that's a win right?

Other things we cook include eggs, stir fry, various chicken dishes, etc. This is our most used pan!

TIA!

ETA: I think this is what we've bought the last few times. Size wise this is PERFECT. I just wish it would last longer. But maybe with nonstick a couple of years is the best we can hope for? Thanks again!

https://www.costco.com/t-fal-5.5-qua...100327916.html
    Last edited by bisous; 10-19-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have a Lodge cast iron pan that I use for many things, but not eggs. Burgers, sauteing veggies, pan to oven recipes. Great investment for $30 though!

I have the same pots I registered for 18 years ago, as well as some stainless pans. Nonstick pans I replace every couple of years. I get green pans for eggs and such. I avoid PFOA.

My quarantine purchase was the All Clad D3 SS 6 quart covered saute pan. I got it from BBB with a coupon. I have had other pans in that size before but they were nonstick. For years I went without a big pan with high sides. Honestly, best purchase ever, especially with all the home time during quarantine.

With you cooking for 6 people, I strongly recommend a large saute pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I have a Lodge cast iron pan that I use for many things, but not eggs. Burgers, sauteing veggies, pan to oven recipes. Great investment for $30 though!

I have the same pots I registered for 18 years ago, as well as some stainless pans. Nonstick pans I replace every couple of years. I get green pans for eggs and such. I avoid PFOA.

My quarantine purchase was the All Clad D3 SS 6 quart covered saute pan. I got it from BBB with a coupon. I have had other pans in that size before but they were nonstick. For years I went without a big pan with high sides. Honestly, best purchase ever, especially with all the home time during quarantine.

With you cooking for 6 people, I strongly recommend a large saute pan.
    Ok. Thank you for that. I think I am using a large saute pan. It definitely has high squarish sides? I usually buy just an inexpensive pan at Costco. They usually run me $20 or so. I measured it so I thought maybe I call it a 12" skillet? But when I looked at skillets at Target the other day what I use seems bigger... So maybe that's the term I need to search? The All Clad are stainless right? Did that replace the nonstick pans you used in the past?

TIA!

We use exclusively cast iron. The biggest downside is it is heavy, but it can go stovetop to oven and really isn’t that difficult to care for (although it does need to be hand washed). A well seasoned cast iron pan has no issue with things like red sauce, although I wouldn’t leave it sitting dirty with the sauce for days. The pan you have can be rehabbed so you wouldn’t need to buy a new one to try again.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Durable Large Skillet Ninja Foodi? Cast Iron?

I have scanpan skillets and cast iron skillets. DH wanted non-stick for eggs and I like cast iron. Scanpan is pricey but it’s a ceramic coating and they’re holding up well. I have a large skillet and smaller one, plus a paella pan I use for stir fries/curries

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I've had a couple Calphalon tri-ply stainless steel pans since we've been married, and they still look about as good as the day we opened the packaging 18 years ago. I use those and my cast iron skillets almost exclusively.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

So guys, maybe the secret is one pan, like my Costco one, for really sticky stuff (like eggs), and then renew/spruce up my cast iron for other stuff? Though pulling it out my cast iron pan IS a 12" skillet and I'd like it to have that 5 quart saute pan capacity. Maybe a new Lodge pan?

Maybe if I JUST use the nonstick for the occasional, special use and the cast iron for most things the nonstick will last longer?

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    So guys, maybe the secret is one pan, like my Costco one, for really sticky stuff (like eggs), and then renew/spruce up my cast iron for other stuff? Though pulling it out my cast iron pan IS a 12" skillet and I'd like it to have that 5 quart saute pan capacity. Maybe a new Lodge pan?

Maybe if I JUST use the nonstick for the occasional, special use and the cast iron for most things the nonstick will last longer?
    This is what I do. I have some things I only use with the non stick or only in the cast iron

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ok. Thank you for that. I think I am using a large saute pan. It definitely has high squarish sides? I usually buy just an inexpensive pan at Costco. They usually run me $20 or so. I measured it so I thought maybe I call it a 12" skillet? But when I looked at skillets at Target the other day what I use seems bigger... So maybe that's the term I need to search? The All Clad are stainless right? Did that replace the nonstick pans you used in the past?

TIA!
    So I use an 8 inch nonstick pan for eggs, a cast iron pan for burgers, veggies, quesadillas, etc. I use my new big one for family meals, like tacos, braising, sausage and peppers, green curry chicken, etc.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have used cast iron in the past. I'd be open to using it again, however, I think that some of the dishes I cook might not be good in cast iron? I'm thinking of recipes that use lime juice or tomato sauces that are highly acidic and I think those are not good to use in cast iron? I still have my lodge skillet though it is rusted. I don't think I was ever properly seasoned and cleaning it was always something challenging for me. But maybe I'm up to the challenge now?

You can restore your cast-iron skillet! I usually clean my cast iron with either a nylon dish brush and plain water or a little bit of oil and Kosher salt (which I rinse off with warm-to-hot water), and then coat in a thin layer of oil & bake for an hour.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast