Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Lime juice is fine for nonstick, not so great for cast iron. That said, you don't need nonstick at all for something like this - if you wait until the protein is fully browned, it will release easily from any kind of pan. Just be sure not to have the heat up too high and be patient - takes at least 5 minutes.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-coo...e-stove-248171
    That link is brilliant. I cook chicken like this A LOT and have just taught myself. I will try the technique of not touching it and adding butter later.

Would you consider the le creuset to be "cast iron" for these purposes? Like would lime juice hurt the le creuset too? Or does the ceramic coating protect it? What would you saute chicken in? Stainless?

By the way, THANK YOU for helping me with these questions! I really appreciate your input (and that you shared your love of LC with me. I now want some very much!)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That link is very well done.

Given the option, I would for sure cook that dish in steel, there's not a need to do it in nonstick. You sure could, but no need. I think you get a better sear/crust without the nonstick.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    That link is very well done.

Given the option, I would for sure cook that dish in steel, there's not a need to do it in nonstick. You sure could, but no need. I think you get a better sear/crust without the nonstick.
    Thanks!!

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    That link is brilliant. I cook chicken like this A LOT and have just taught myself. I will try the technique of not touching it and adding butter later.

Would you consider the le creuset to be "cast iron" for these purposes? Like would lime juice hurt the le creuset too? Or does the ceramic coating protect it? What would you saute chicken in? Stainless?

By the way, THANK YOU for helping me with these questions! I really appreciate your input (and that you shared your love of LC with me. I now want some very much!)
    You are very welcome. The enamel on cast iron is essentially very tough glass so completely non-reactive with acids.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven’t used misen before but they’re supposed to be pretty nice - this is a great form factor in my opinion and the price is right.
    https://misen.com/products/6-quart-rondeau

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have a stainless set that came with a 3.5 quart saute pan (Cuisinart multi-clad, which has been wonderful for the price) - the saute pan is one of our favorites, but we need something bigger for our family of 5. The 5.5 qt pan from the same line looks good - https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/c...ns/mcp33-30hn/. I've also been eyeing the 5-6 quart All-Clad and Demeyere saute pans, but haven't wanted to spend quite that much without seeing the weight and size in person.

We also have two cast iron skillets (one was DH's grandmother's, the other I got in college). We use both all of the time. Haven't had any trouble with acidic sauces.

I have a non-stick skillet that pretty much only gets used for eggs, and we expect to replace every 10 years or so.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    You are very welcome. The enamel on cast iron is essentially very tough glass so completely non-reactive with acids.
    Yes. I use my enameled cast iron for tomato based pasta dishes or to cook large amounts of taco meat and I have never had a problem with acidic items like tomatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4