Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Yes, the wide round https://www.lecreuset.com/round-wide...en/LS2552.html - it's one of the first pieces I got about 8/9 years ago and still one of the most frequently used though I have like 10 more LC and also a zillion SS pots.
    I have been looking for this to be reduced. What do you use it for?

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Are you talking about the round wide dutch oven? It is a beauty. What color do you all like the best? (Also--out of my price range for now but I'm seriously considering if I get money for a birthday or Christmas saving up for one of these beauties!)
    We got ours as an engagement gift; at first, I used it mostly for soups/stews, but the advantage of it being stovetop to oven-safe means I can also use it for baked beans and no-knead bread. I've also used it as a secondary pan for making bechamel for baked macaroni and cheese.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I have been looking for this to be reduced. What do you use it for?
    Braising things like chicken, anything soupy/stewly you'd cook in a dutch oven, particularly those that needs a lot of browning since it's wider/more area to brown, it works well for risotto (that's actually it's other name), not that I make that anymore because no one else in the family will eat it, something like baked ziti that need broiling (my other casserole dishes aren't safe for the broiler since they're pyrex). I've roasted whole chickens in it since I generally do that either splayed or butterflied.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Are you talking about the round wide dutch oven? It is a beauty. What color do you all like the best? (Also--out of my price range for now but I'm seriously considering if I get money for a birthday or Christmas saving up for one of these beauties!)
    So I decided a while that I wouldn't buy duplicate colors for any of my collection except for my first 2 pieces in cerise/red (this one & a saucepan)- I have 10 colors now I think and like them all! I don't like yellow or the matte colors and I prefer the ones with more gradient to them but really you can't go wrong.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    So I decided a while that I wouldn't buy duplicate colors for any of my collection except for my first 2 pieces in cerise/red (this one & a saucepan)- I have 10 colors now I think and like them all! I don't like yellow or the matte colors and I prefer the ones with more gradient to them but really you can't go wrong.
    Thanks for sharing. I'm getting too excited about cookware, lol. I'm rather partial to the "Marseille" color and would love to see some of the greens in person. Maybe getting these would make me want to do more extensive cooking, lol!

The Marseille is beautiful! The only green I have is sadly long discontinued - rosemary. And getting my pretty pots out has helped make the 10 million meals a week I have to cook a little more bearable!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I can't believe I'm the only differing opinion on this - I strongly dislike LC even though a lot of people love them. I find them far too heavy and the handles feel awkward to me. I do have small hands, with hand and wrist issues, so that may explain some of it. And of course, they're prohibitively expensive.

For fry/saute pans, I prefer Vollrath plus I have a couple of All-Clad larger braising pans. (Plus both All-Clad and Vollrath are made in USA.) I use a couple of different sizes of stainless roasting pans, plus I use my crock pots (also two sizes) a lot. I have an embarrassing amount of Pyrex. I have small eggs pans with standard nonstick that I just accept replacing every year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I can't believe I'm the only differing opinion on this - I strongly dislike LC even though a lot of people love them. I find them far too heavy and the handles feel awkward to me. I do have small hands, with hand and wrist issues, so that may explain some of it. And of course, they're prohibitively expensive.
    Doesn't solve the weight issue, but the newer "signature" line has larger handles that are far more comfortable esp on the larger pans. I find all clad long handles to be horribly uncomfortable though the loop handles are fine - I have 2 stockpots that I love.

If you do end up going with stainless, I recommend demeyere as an alternative to all clad - made in Belgium - comfy handles and you can definitely find good deals https://www.cutleryandmore.com/demey...serole-p137679 https://www.cutleryandmore.com/demey...-page-product1
    Last edited by legaleagle; 10-23-2020 at 11:36 AM.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't know if anyone is still reading this BUT if someone was making a chicken dish (sauteing in butter, then adding lime juice and broth) what kind of pan would be ideal? I think the nonstick coating is nice for the saute part of this operation but the simmering in lime juice is probably bad for nonstick OR cast iron, right? Is this a stainless steel dish?

Good gracious I'm demonstrating what a terrible cook I truly am! But I think if I can nail down this kind of cooking (I saute in butter a lot and cook with lime juice a lot!) then I can figure out my pan situation!

Thank you!!

Lime juice is fine for nonstick, not so great for cast iron. That said, you don't need nonstick at all for something like this - if you wait until the protein is fully browned, it will release easily from any kind of pan. Just be sure not to have the heat up too high and be patient - takes at least 5 minutes.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-coo...e-stove-248171
    Last edited by legaleagle; 10-23-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast