Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Google "Hiking 10 essentials"
    1. Whistle
    2. Water (liter per hour ish)
    3. Extra food
    4. Head lamp
    5. compass/maps--depends on the trail
    6. First aid kit
    7. Rain gear--jacket and pants
    8. Pocket knife
    9.Water purification tablets (if you ever run out of water, you need these)
    the other stuff might be overkill for short trails. But for me--anytime I am hiking in the mountains here, I have those 10 essentials plus an "emergency/space blanket". We have so many people who go out for short hikes and get lost and are TOTALLY unprepared. They get rescued but it sucks to be stuck on the mountain over night!!

Start with trail running shoes and you can move up to hiking shoes if you need to. You don't need boots until you carry a backpack or do high altitude scrambling. I use trekking poles for backpacking but not for hiking. I use an Osprey daypack because it is roomy and has a spot for a water bladder. You will drink more water if you carry a bladder. Any clothes will do. Clothing that wicks is best. And if you have issues with ticks where you are going, then you want long pants and shirts. Check out the REI Sahara shorts. (I think you have EMS out there too)

Do NOT count on your cell phone having a signal!!! Tell people your plans so they know where you are. If you are really into some more remote terrain, then look into getting a Spot It or other locator. Way better than waiting for dogs to find you:-) And that cougar video-if the guy had not been filming her cubs, that whole thing would have been a LOT less intense. She just wanted him out of there. If she wanted him dead, he would be. But you are in New York--so you need to know bears and snakes. And ticks and mosquitos. Do you have moose? They can be really scary--we have lots of them in the mountains here. I hiked/backpacked alot in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and Virginia and saw black bears who I just managed to stay far away from/skirt around.

Go to your local outdoor store to find out if they have info nights for "Beginning Hiking". Find a guidebook on local trails. I have a guide book to all the trails in the mountains near me. It is my best friend! That way you can research trails and find out what you would like to hike. All Trails is nice but I like a guide book. Check out local hiking groups. We have several. There is a Facebook Group called "Women Who Hike" and you can join your local chapter. I am not doing any group hikes now, but it is nice to know that people are out there and I can ask questions.

And HAVE FUN!! there is nothing I love more than being out on a trail--even if it is just the trails in the foothills near my house. I just love it!
    What's the name of your book? I'd be interested in it, since I'm in Utah also.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

The most complete book is Hiking the Wasatch by John Veranth. Get the third edition. Its on Amazon or any local bookstore. Millcreek and Cottonwood Canyons plus foothills and more

My other favorite is Best Hikes With Children Utah by Maureen Keilty. It has hikes all over the state and they are really good for adults too!

I have other books with longer hikes for adults and backpacking. But those are my hiking go to books.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'll add a hiking buddy.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    I'll add a hiking buddy.
    I have hiked solo ever since I can remember. Even backpacking (that’s actually pretty boring IMO and not the spiritual experience I expected )

If you can hike with someone that’s great. But don’t let rare, sensational stories stop you. Like all things—be smart and know your limits. And just get out there!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Wow. Thanks for all of this info. I downloaded the app and it seems great!

I got hiking boots the other day from REI but I don't know if I should've gotten trail running shoes instead? I'm really planning on easy trails to start (1-2 hrs) but I also wanted to use them for walking the dog in rain/snow slush. Any thoughts? https://www.rei.com/product/175734/o...94187035&ev11=

Dumb question: Can I just wear jeans? Leggings? I really don't plan to go hiking in the rain/snow or during weather extremes to start (probs 40-70 degree weather). No mountains in my local area.

Hoping my husband will be my hiking buddy.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    Wow. Thanks for all of this info. I downloaded the app and it seems great!

I got hiking boots the other day from REI but I don't know if I should've gotten trail running shoes instead? I'm really planning on easy trails to start (1-2 hrs) but I also wanted to use them for walking the dog in rain/snow slush. Any thoughts? https://www.rei.com/product/175734/o...94187035&ev11=

Dumb question: Can I just wear jeans? Leggings? I really don't plan to go hiking in the rain/snow or during weather extremes to start (probs 40-70 degree weather). No mountains in my local area.

Hoping my husband will be my hiking buddy.

The boots are probably overkill but it's hard to say.

Any pants will do for that time frame. I don't love jeans because I want more range of movement. I really just wear my trusty workout leggings that have seen me through many long runs. Nothing special (usually just Old Navy).

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Depending on where you live and where you will be walking, see if you need to wear orange while hiking certain times of year. Here you do on a lot of the trails. ...
    Good tip - it's deer season right now on the East Coast!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

Any pants will do for that time frame. I don't love jeans because I want more range of movement. ...
    Same - not a fan of jeans for hikes/treks. I have a pair of cargo scrub pants that I use for mucky outdoor time, like taking my Scouts camping, hiking, or working in the yard.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hoka waterproof trail sneakers are my goto. They work well in a downpour or an inch or two of snow.

https://www.hokaoneone.com/sale/chal...x/1111991.html

(I run in the non waterproof version of these and while not waterproof, they seem to be water resistant. I highly recommend. I got the men’s version of the non waterproof cause I liked the colors better).

https://www.hokaoneone.com/womens-tr...x/1106531.html

If you are going to do the outside hike in colder weather, sub 20 or so, I highly rec fleece leggings.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've been hiking even more than usual this year, with lack of so many other usual options - it is such a great way to clear the mind, get some exercise and fresh air and just recharge.

For shoes, I either wear a trail runner (mine are Saucony Peregrines because I pronate and need a lot of stability) or low, waterproof hikers (mine are Salomon X Ultra 3 Low GTX and I love them - I'm on my second pair). I wear a running sock with my trail runners and a wool sock with my hikers. If I'm doing a ton of mileage, I sometimes add a silk liner to the wool. If there is any chance of getting wet feet and it isn't super hot or if I'm going to be on any kind of rocky or rooted terrain that's harder on the feet for which I like a firmer sole, I go with my hikers rather than my trail runners. I also have a pair of high hiking boots, but I haven't worn those in ages - they aren't as comfortable, add a lot of weight and give me more blisters - I would only wear those carrying a super heavy pack in very tough terrain anymore as the low hikers are adequate almost everywhere I've been in the last five years. So if you got big, high cut hiking boots and haven't worn them yet, you may want to think about returning them in favor of something else.

Good rain gear - definitely need a truly waterproof rain coat and rain pants.

Technical layers - definitely want to have layers in the right fabrics to keep you comfortable (wick, dry quickly) and be able to adjust during the hike as needed. I almost always hike in leggings these days - the length and thickness depends on the weather - because they are so versatile and you can easily toss your rain pants over top if needed. I just got some cozy fleece leggings that I'm loving for the 30-40 degree mornings we have having now. I'll wear a proper pair of hiking pants if I'm worried about brush or rocks tearing something thinner but that doesn't happen often.

Poles - I think you should add these only if you are going to be doing longer hikes or harder terrain. I find I don't bring them for just a typical day hike on an easy or moderate trail. For something 10+ miles or more technical I do like to have them but getting started I wouldn't get them right away.

Daypack - I alternate between a lightweight backpack to hold the essentials others have already talked about and a hydration hip pack that doesn't hold all of that, but holds the bare minimum for a summer half day hike on well traveled terrain that I'm familiar with. I don't always load up a full daypack for a shorter hike, depending on where I'm headed.

Solo hiking - I did a lot of solo hiking (in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and Michigan) this year and really branched out in terms of my comfort zone hiking alone (solo in grizzly country for the first time, on longer alpine trails etc) and I wouldn't shy away from a solo hike provided you know that there will be others on the trail (well traveled route), conditions are favorable (weather, terrain) and I do tend to avoid early morning or dusk when I'm alone as I'd have a higher chance of being truly alone on the trail or have a wildlife encounter. But I have really enjoyed day hiking solo and even camped (rooftop car tent) solo for four nights this summer and fall over two trips and it was surprisingly empowering and fun. I wouldn't choose to do every hike that way, but for certain things it is a great way to hike/camp.

I love the All Trails app that others have recommended too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast