bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Accommodations for ADHD for remote learning for High Schoolers?

Sorry, I have a lot of questions today!

DS1 hasn't had accommodations for ADHD since 8th grade (he's currently in 11th). However, distance learning is CHALLENGING. I wouldn't say that he's having a terrible time, but I feel like we're struggling with some things and I'd like to make sure he has processes in place to protect him before he has more pronounced negative effects (in things like grades). We're planning to continue remote in lieu of going to hybrid learning.

Some things I'm considering (and I'm love to hear your thoughts) include,

Switching him from the B Cohort to the A Cohort. The rest of my kids are in A Cohort and so when he's on his live classes there is a lot of confusion and noise (despite our best efforts!) during his class time. Switching Cohorts would mean that all 4 of my kids are on calls at the same time and therefore quieter, allowing him to better concentrate.

Giving extra time on exams and quizzes. He gets really anxious and scattered during some of the formats for online quizzes and texts. It would be nice if he could have extra time.

What I'm really looking for too is some kind of procedure for better communication with the teachers. I feel like he spends a lot of time working on waiting for email responses from the (understandably really busy!) teachers. Normally he'd just ask in class

He's very reticent to butt in during zoom meetings. I don't know a fix for this.

Any other thoughts of things I could ask for?

Thank you so much in advance!

cheme is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I’d definitely try to switch cohorts, that seems like it would help. So does extra time on tests.

Does your school have teacher office hours? Our HS has a half hour every afternoon where teachers are required to be online and any student can “stop in.” My kids find that more helpful than email, but they do miss being able to just ask something before/after class. The informal communication is something they really miss with distance learning.

Thank you for chiming in. I will try for switching out the cohorts. They can only say no right?

I would love to find out if there are office hours. I rather think that there aren't. Because of the hybrid schedule each teacher is teaching their normal course load TWICE. I will see what the counselors say in the 504 meeting about options for contacting the teacher.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is your wifi good enough to handle 4/5 simultaneous video calls? I would ask for flexibility on due date/not being docked for late work. What were his prior accommodations that helped?

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My dd is in 12th grade and has adhd. She has extra time to complete assignments and extra time for tests. Thankfully her teachers have been pretty responsive via email. They do have pop in google meets if students have questions. Definitely ask for cohort change. My dd has problems with her brother being loud when she is taking tests. Our solution is for her to go to her dads office for times when she really has to concentrate. She can also go to my sisters house (no kids) but that’s farther away.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Is your wifi good enough to handle 4/5 simultaneous video calls? I would ask for flexibility on due date/not being docked for late work. What were his prior accommodations that helped?
    We've been able to handle 5 simultaneous meetings. Every Wednesday the cohorts meet (remotely) at the same time in the morning and so far it has worked out fine. We have the fastest internet we can get in the area and even bought some kind of product from Costco that boosts our signal throughout the house.

All four kids are on right now and it is so nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Gracemom View Post
    My dd is in 12th grade and has adhd. She has extra time to complete assignments and extra time for tests. Thankfully her teachers have been pretty responsive via email. They do have pop in google meets if students have questions. Definitely ask for cohort change. My dd has problems with her brother being loud when she is taking tests. Our solution is for her to go to her dads office for times when she really has to concentrate. She can also go to my sisters house (no kids) but that’s farther away.
    DS1 does ok when he's next to his brother who is also on a call. It is very distracting for him though when the whole family is talking in another room (because they are all done for the day/at lunch) and he is on a call! I think this will definitely be better for him.

I'm wondering if the teachers do have better ways of meeting with DS. Part of his ADHD is bad planning/communicating skills so if that is an option, he might not be taking full advantage of it. I need to figure out how to help him figure that out.. if that makes sense!

Thanks for chiming in!