Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Ideas to get kids solid physical activity as we head into winter

So we are in the Midwest and the weather is inevitably going to get worse as we head into the winter months. Im not yet feeling comfortable sending my kids for indoor activities like swimming pools and/or indoor courts.
    Would it be safe and okay for my 12 year old DD who is 5 feet tall to run on our treadmill? I can stay there and monitor her.
    For my DS who is 9, he loves jump roping, and he would gladly join DH in the P90x3 workout. He won’t use any weights at all of course, just body weight. That should be fine right? How about P90x3 for DD, although she does not like it. DD likes just dance, any other dance workout videos that your kids love?

Also any recommendations for workout routines geared towards kids? I’m open to buying DVDs or even paying for online streaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Buy a Switch and get the games Ring Fit and Just Dance. They are both super fun ways to get exercise. We have a Wii too and love games like Wii Sport Resort for table tennis and bowling. I think we might have a comparable game for the Switch but my memory is fuzzy. We seem to own every game and system. Just Dance has always been one of my favorites too. We like the competition and exercise.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So, I think it helps to review WHY a you are looking at physical activity for your kids. As adults it’s easy to fall into the the physical activity as offsetting caloric intake, but that’s not as true for kids. (And actually it’s not nearly as true for adults either, that’s a whole later conversation.) I believe it’s really useful for kids to balance out their mental expenditure with their physical one so they can integrate everything better. Having my kids minds exhausted from the stress of school, but their bodies fully rested Lee’s to poor sleep and crankiness in my house. So they don’t need to be playin hard for an hour on the basketball court to get the benefits. A 30 minute yoga class or getting in the habit of 15 minutes after school, maybe balancing on a balance ball while watching their TicTock, and some stretching at night might be enough for them to feel better and achieve the basics. I’m also a believer that 20 minutes outside is better than 1 1/2 hours inside for them. So I think you can widen the net with them to craft something they can stick to that won’t be as involved. Even something like putting a basket ball hoop over the door in my family room would result in my eldest spending 20 minutes throwing a ball in it about once a day when he was a tween. Did it expend any calories? Nope, but it was good for him. It might be a good time to try some mindfulness exercises. Both Calm and Headspace have age appropriate things in their apps.

Also, PSA, if this past spring’s run on outdoor stuff was any indication (I stupidly tried to update my deck in July, hahaha) I would buy winter gear like snow shoes, ice skates or cross country skies NOW.
    Last edited by dogmom; 10-20-2020 at 10:22 PM.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with Dogmom - buy good winter gear - layers, decent boots, hats and gloves and send them outside. My kids have always played outside year round. Bikes still work in the cold. Skateboards, scooters and rollerblades are more dicy but if the ground is clear go for it. If it snows, so much the better! Make snow forts, people, snowball fights, shovel for an elderly neighbor etc.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My 11 yo wanted to walk on the treadmill, so I allowed him to use it while watching Disney plus. A couple days later, I got an email from Fitbit congratulating on “me” finishing a marathon. He had the device for just a few days when that happened, lol.

But I agree with snuggle- ring fit for the switch has been fun for mine, except that it’s only one person at a time and we have 3. We need to set up the indoor bike trainer also for winter. With classes being “on” and “off” at different times, my kids are tempted to go to a neighborhood bike trail with jumps and such. I mandated they go with a sibling in case of injury. (Neighbor had a shoulder injury there.)

We do a little bit of Go Noodle for short bursts of movement, but they have Indoor Recess videos that my kids liked in elementary. There’s enough value in that for them still, purely for retro fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If your DD herself is interested/asking to do it herself, I see no reason why the treadmill would be a concern, as long as you're supervising. Same with your DS and the workout with your DH. BUT - I would *not* push or require those activities in any way. Kids should be getting their physical activity through play. If you're expecting or pushing it at this age, I think you really risk creating negative associations with exercise, when the real goal is for kids to grow up thinking of exercise as a positive thing they enjoy doing that makes their mind and body feel better.

Like others, I strongly support outdoor play, regardless of weather. I'd focus more on stocking up on warm weather gear vs. exercise videos, and on being prepared to lead by example and be the one to suggest going out for a walk even if it's cold, etc. I grew up in the Midwest and I think the only weather we didn't play outside in was freezing rain. I think that even just hanging out or goofing off outside for 30 minutes is far more beneficial to a kid than doing a full workout video or some sort of "planned" exercise.

Another thing to consider is ways to make games your kids already enjoy into more active games. My brothers and I used to play Speed (the card game) but instead of having all the piles of cards in a row on the table, they were spread out around the house. So we'd have to run all over to play the game - we would be exhausted after playing for awhile, but we loved it and it was play, not exercise, to us. I'm not sure if this game would be of interest at your kids ages, but mine still have fun playing it because they'll add challenges or do things to make it more complicated (hide the sensors, require you do a cartwheel before you get a color, etc.) https://www.amazon.com/PlayMonster-7...3212271&sr=8-1 and this game is great for physical activity too -- it's definitely an outdoor game but might work if you have an unfinished basement, otherwise it's fun outside, even in cold weather.... https://www.amazon.com/Rehabilitatio...3212380&sr=8-1
    Lizi

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I really do think that the secret to fitness working for life is finding something you love. I am sharing my workout that I love for your DD that likes dance. It is INTENSE. Here's a link to the workout they have for free available on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KBr5--u_0nIThI

They also have live classes during the pandemic and here's a link to the livestream. Lately the times just don't work with my schedule (5 am or bust, lol!) but I was doing them in the summer.

https://www.highfitnesslive.com/

I HATE doing things like 20 minute HIIT videos. They are awesome and fast and available for free everywhere but I hate every minute. Doing these high fitness routines I get super sweaty and I love every minute of it. It may not be something that she likes--sometimes I wonder if I love it because I'm old enough to remember old school aerobics (but the music is more fun in this!) so it may not work for kids but I want to through this out there!

I think loving the exercise is the secret of it. The games PPs mentioned also sound great. Good luck, OP!

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for all you inputs and ideas. Bisous, I checked out your links and I think DD will love them, I’ll show her and see what she says. Dogmom, Liziz thanks for the perspective about the negative association with workout and incorporating it into play or an outdoor activity while geared up. DH is very much of the same opinion, it’s just that I’m averse to cold myself and dread it. The kids are not bothered like me so I think we can still work it out.
    Thanks for the reminder about ring fit. I’d wanted to buy it a few months ago when it was out of stock everywhere, but looks like now it’s available!

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Do you get snow? We are big Nordic skiers and ski every weekend from Dec- March. I love being able to ski 20-30K on a beautiful day. We meet up with friends and grill hot dogs over an open fire. We have a group that meets every Sat and Sun at a nordic center and we ski alone/ together all day, rotating in and out of small groups.

We plan to continue with Covid, the nature of nordic skiing, you are more than 6 feet apart, and outside. We also snowshoe a lot in the winter.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Why would a treadmill be of concern? I don’t think a 12 year old needs supervision after the first time?

We push physical activity for mental and physical health as well as preparation for sports. Maybe I shouldn’t be posting here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast