Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The treadmill should be fine. My 9 year old uses ours on his own (although he usually joins one of us while we are working out so he’s not alone much). Given our weather, I get mine outside unless it’s unusually cold. Our winters are cold but not typically that bad. So they still ride bikes and scooters, kick balls, shoot hockey pucks, shoot baskets. We have a spot in the basement for all of that too. My kids play a winter sport though and will continue to so long as it continues to be safe. So far, no issues and that is a lot of exercise on its own. I’m also probably going to take them skiing at hidden valley when we have free time just to get out and we have a lot of great places to hike in the area on free weekends (we like the cold around our house, so much time in an ice rink...)
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Not really what you’re asking, but I’ve been impressed with how DGDs' school has been handling the need to keep kids active yet distanced and wearing masks. The traditional PE stuff doesn’t work and the middle/upper school inter-school sports also are very limited but if anything, lots of physical activity is more important than ever. (The lower school—grades 1-5—are full time in person; the middle/upper schools have alternating schedules, 2 or 3 days on campus alternating with remote learning.)

Different classes regularly go on "fresh air walks" (which I would call short hikes!) and the older kids have done a lot of kayaking which 10th grade DGD1 says is lots of fun but tiring (yep!). The younger kids have lots of space to just run around. That’s just a sample.

Yes, this private school has some advantages in terms of plenty of space (and waterfront access), but if they didn’t put a high priority on physical activity and outdoor education, none of this would happen.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Why would a treadmill be of concern? I don’t think a 12 year old needs supervision after the first time?

We push physical activity for mental and physical health as well as preparation for sports. Maybe I shouldn’t be posting here?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    We absolutely support physical activity too and talk to our kids about how it's important for both mental and physical health. But I don't think it builds a healthy relationship to exercise to tell a 9 or 12 year old "you need to run for 30 minutes a day on the treadmill" or "you're expected to do this workout video every day". It turns it into a chore rather than a positive experience. I'm not saying that's how OP would have handled it (at all!!!) but that's where my thinking was when I said my earlier comments. I think it's so much more positive for kids to grow up ENJOYING doing physical activity and to learn through play and fun that physical activity makes you feel better, mentally and physically.
    Lizi

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    We absolutely support physical activity too and talk to our kids about how it's important for both mental and physical health. But I don't think it builds a healthy relationship to exercise to tell a 9 or 12 year old "you need to run for 30 minutes a day on the treadmill" or "you're expected to do this workout video every day". It turns it into a chore rather than a positive experience. I'm not saying that's how OP would have handled it (at all!!!) but that's where my thinking was when I said my earlier comments. I think it's so much more positive for kids to grow up ENJOYING doing physical activity and to learn through play and fun that physical activity makes you feel better, mentally and physically.
    I agree with this point! My friend has started forcing her 12 year old son to get up at 5am to run on the treadmill to "get in shape". He plays soccer and swims. So it's not like he's sedimentary and he hates running. This is only making it worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2