Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cohort size

meggie t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Two children, two different schools. Both small private schools.

DS - 5th grade; 17 students; no masks for students; teachers wear masks if they have to be closer than 6 ft from children; air purifiers in each room; one way stairwells and hallways
    DD- 2nd grade; 12 students; no masks for students at desks, gym, recess - if they are in hallways, on the rug close to one another, they wear masks; teachers wear masks if they have to be closer than 6 ft from children

I am happy with their systems. 7 weeks in and no issues, thank goodness.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Public school. Kids are in grades 7, 9, 11. We're in week 8 of full time in person. About 25% chose virtual so seated numbers are lower.

My middle school kid has about 22 per class. Assigned seats all day, including lunch. Masks all the time when inside, except eating. He has 5 classes total in school and 2 online. The middle school has about 900 kids and 6 cases so far. Only 2 were considered connected and transferred at school.

The high school is mostly at 25 kids per grade with about 1600 total. Same rules as middle but no assigned lunch seats as they are able to keep them 6 feet apart easily. DS1 has a couple small classes with 12 kids. Band meets in the auditorium. They've had 8 cases and none are school transferred.

Both schools don't use lockers, have a block schedule for 2-3 classes per day, and one way halls. They've been able to contact trace and quarantine kids as needed but so far none have turned up positive in quarantine.
    Last edited by KrisM; 10-21-2020 at 09:39 AM.
    Kris

Ugh it’s clear that my kids are getting the short end of the stick with distance learning.

DD is in 9th. Half of her classes have 40+ kids.

DS1 is in 6th grade (middle school). I’m not entirely sure how big his classes are, but I think they are “normal” sized...like 22-30. His distance learning experience is by far the best of my three kids.

DS2 is in first grade. He has 28 kids in his class. First month was 32!!!!!!! In person has about 20 currently. I’m super angry at our district for prioritizing class size for in person (it’s 5 day a week in person or fully online.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Ugh it’s clear that my kids are getting the short end of the stick with distance learning.

DD is in 9th. Half of her classes have 40+ kids.

DS1 is in 6th grade (middle school). I’m not entirely sure how big his classes are, but I think they are “normal” sized...like 22-30. His distance learning experience is by far the best of my three kids.

DS2 is in first grade. He has 28 kids in his class. First month was 32!!!!!!! In person has about 20 currently. I’m super angry at our district for prioritizing class size for in person (it’s 5 day a week in person or fully online.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I feel you. I know this will be my family a few months for now. Currently our entire district is online/remote only, but they hope to move to hybrid as soon as they can. Parents had the option to choose to continue to be online only with your own school when hybrid happens and that is what I have chosen. I can tell that once hybrid is here everything will go into making that work and online only will be a complete afterthought in terms of resources, thinking, etc.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS is a freshman, public high school of about 2200. Today was his first day back in school, they split each grade by last name. He said most classes had 5-8 kids, English class had 13. Usual class size is normally about 20 to 25. He said he was so happy to be back, especially for algebra and French.

Our district started with K, 2,4,6 and 9th in person 2x week and next week the east of the grades.

Lunch is free for everyone, and grab and go, no a la carte options or bring your own. No changing for PE.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So far, I've only actually heard about sizes from my youngest child because we don't start back face to face until November. (Ninth for elementary, 16th for middle and high school.) She's got 18 kids in her class normally. Twelve are coming back to in-person, with 6 staying full time virtual. So, her cohort (M/T) will only have 6 kids in it. Middle school & high school have larger class sizes than elementary, but I think still about 1/3 of the kids will be in virtual across the county based on numbers I'm hearing. So, 27-ish kids per class (probably a bit high for most classes), with 9 staying home, so 9 per cohort per classroom.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    DS is a freshman, public high school of about 2200. Today was his first day back in school, they split each grade by last name. He said most classes had 5-8 kids, English class had 13. Usual class size is normally about 20 to 25. He said he was so happy to be back, especially for algebra and French.

Our district started with K, 2,4,6 and 9th in person 2x week and next week the east of the grades.

Lunch is free for everyone, and grab and go, no a la carte options or bring your own. No changing for PE.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    This sounds like the same model as our district, though they went back mid September. My DS is in 11th at a public HS. He goes two days a week in person. The other three days depend on the teacher, some like them to just check in while others will give a short lesson. Most of the teaching takes place during the in person days since the class time is longer. Students were also divided by last name. He has four classes this semester and will have his other four classes next semester. Three of his classes are small with 4-5 students. His biggest class is math with 12. We were also given the option of full virtual or hybrid. I'm glad we chose hybrid. His friends whose parents chose full virtual are not happy and hope to switch next semester. He loves this way of learning. It gives him much more freedom to budget his own time. I hope we aren't dealing with this next year, but I know that if he had it his way, he'd finish his last year of HS like this.

Our lunches are also free and grab and go, though we can pack a lunch which is what my DS does. Last year was his last gym class for high school so we don't have to deal with that.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Public HS, hybrid (MWF one week, TuTh the next), I'd say about 10ish +/- in each class. Masks (with breaks), desks 6ft, lunches in caf or half of the athletic center at desks not tables.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    I’m just wondering what differences in cohort size people are experiencing across the country if their kids are attending school in person. Are your kids full-time or hybrid? Public or private school? What grade? How many kids attend in person in the same classroom with them?

Public school district, K-12 - four elementary schools (two are K-2; two are 3-5), one middle school (6-8), one high school (9-12)

We're still 100% remote here, but the district is still planning to begin hybrid instruction on November 9th. As I understand it, it'll be M/T, Th/F for all in-person, with Wednesdays fully remote to allow for hygiene theater, a/k/a "deep cleaning."

DD will remain remote, as she struggles a great deal with transitions and it's the only way we can give her the consistency she needs for her mental health.

For in-person cohorts, each classroom is supposed to have fewer than 15 students in person to allow for distancing and air circulation. All students in any given cohort will attend in-person on an early dismissal schedule (dismissed at 1:25pm with grab-and-go cold lunches for students who normally purchase lunch or who qualify for free/reduced lunch) and teachers are expected to split their attention to also teach students remaining remote or in the opposite cohort.

Students are split into A/B groups by last name and students who are remote, whether they're participating in any in-person instruction or remaining fully remote, are expected to log in for live instruction regardless of their day. Students will receive additional live instruction remotely in the afternoons on their opposite day (i.e. - on an "A" day, students who were in school will be sent home/to aftercare with independent work, but students who are in the "B" cohort are expected to log in to clarify anything taught live)

The Middle and High School have a different schedule and expectations, but I am not as concerned with them because DD is in her final year of elementary.
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 10-21-2020 at 09:40 AM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have been full time in school since Aug 31. DS 4 middle school has 1250 ( ish) students and have had 2 positive cases ( both had little to no symptoms and returned after 14 days) Our district has a distance option ( live stream classes) or in person. Any student who is contact traced is switched to the distance for the 14 days. DS3 goes to a 2-12 gifted magnet school and has 1 positive case in 1200 students. DS 3 school started at 70-30 but is now a little over 80-20 in person. DS 3 started at 60-40 and is now 70-30. All county schools wear masks. Private schools here do not and their numbers are the same or less per school. Charter schools wear masks and their numbers are similar. Of the 61 public schools in the county there have been 117 positive cases. I saw that someone just filed a mask mandated lawsuit in our county and the neighboring county.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast